Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rectify Slope Issue Without Opening Wall
Author: gralph (NJ)

I have a first floor bathroom in my house where the sink doesn't drain.

I spent a morning removing and replacing the trap and cleaning out the connection to the branch behind the wall hoping this would remedy the issue. I also snaked the pipe in the wall while everything was open.

The only explanation I can think of is that the short branch from the sink to the main stack is not properly pitched.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to increase the pitch of the pipe behind the wall without opening the wall? e.g. a jack stand to push up the existing copper (yes copper!) drain line? Any other ideas? The bathroom has original hot pink tile and I know once I get into cutting the wall I'm going to need to renovate the whole bathroom and I'd rather not go there at this time.

I appreciate any innovative ideas!

Re: Rectify Slope Issue Without Opening Wall
Author: hj (AZ)

No, and that is not the issue anyway. The line has to be cleared by a plumber with a "snake".

Author: packy (MA)

even if the pipe is slightly backpitched, properly snaking it would clean it and it will drain fine until it clogs again. no doubt you didn't clean it that well when you snaked it.
as for raising the drain, if it runs horizontal thru a hole in a stud, you will never raise it without enlarging the hole in the stud.
snake it again and run some water thru it with a hose to wash it clean, then snake it once more.

Thank you both smileys with beer
Author: gralph (NJ)

Thank you both. I'll go back and snake it again and use the hose idea. After that I'll re-assemble and come back here if it's still not draining for other ideas.

If the sink bowl fills up it takes about 20 minutes to fully drain.

Edited 1 times.

simply stirring up the 'gunk' that is inside the pipe does not clean it. the stirred up gunk will only move further down the pipe and re-clog. you need to move the 'gunk' along into the big main pipe where it will wash away.

Author: ex apprentice 28 (MA)

You could try a drain bladder but if you have vent it would not have pressure to clear the clog.

Author: m & m (MD)

Hot water will liquefy the gunk quicker than cold.

i never recommend liquifying the 'gunk' as it will simply gel further down the pipe when it cools. keep it cold and in a solid form. beat the daylights out of it with the snake and move the small bits of solid 'gunk' down the system.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.