Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 4 piece tub shower VS one piece NEW BUILD
Author: Pups1 (WI)

We are building a home and the builder is insisting on installing a four piece tub/shower unit. I'm wanting something easy to clean and that won't allow stagnant water to become trapped behind it(I would like a one piece unit like I have had but they want to charge me a huge $1000+ fee to change it out as its already partially installed). Should we be worried about the four piece sterling unit??help please asap!!

Re: 4 piece tub shower VS one piece NEW BUILD
Author: packy (MA)

3 or 4 piece units are made for remodeling where you can not fit a 1 piece thru doorways or up stairs.
a 1 piece is made for new construction or for a remodel with tons of access.
were there no design specs?

Thank you!! big grin

We built with the same builder 5 years ago and we had a one piece unit as standard. I was aware they were using a new unit that had checkerboard tile design on it and requested it to be smooth. I paid about $140 for the change to smooth. I didn't know these were completely different "animals". The builder claims they have had no problems or complaints with them and thinks I'm crazy for wanting a one piece instead :/ I don't like the extra crevices the four pieces have and could see water getting through the seems and becoming stagnant in the trough designed to route the water out. At this point in wanting to know if plumbers have seen problems with the four pieces or am I being really picky? Thank you!!

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

No way, no how , would I accept a 3 or 4 piece bathing unit in a new home.

Could you give me some specific reason of why not? I'm wanting to defend my decision winking smiley thank you for your opinion!!! smiling smiley

Author: sharp1 (IL)

You are correct, the builder is wrong, and it's YOUR money. That's all the builder needs to know.

Maybe he forgot to bring in the 1 piece before he framed the walls.

Author: m & m (MD)

I have installed many Sterling 4 pc. units with no problems. They are all I use for fiberglass remodel.

But, having a choice such as you have for new construction, I would never recommend anything but a one piece.

Thank you!! Does anyone know in general, are four piece less money compared to a one piece? I'm trying to do my own research but am still unclear. Thank u!!

Author: sharp1 (IL)

I think a 3 piece fiberglass might cost more than the same brand 1 piece. But a tub with a thin 3 piece surround glued to drywall would be a lot cheaper.

Author: m & m (MD)

Sterling sectional units can be more than the same one piece unit.

I really appreciate the advice!! clap

Can't thank you guys enough! I really appreciate the advice!! The builder is saying the plumbing they have put in for the sectional sterling won't line up for a one piece unit so it will have to be redone... True?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

We would seldom "see" problem with them, because we don't deal with them after they are installed.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The existing plumbing may not line up exactly with the new tub, but I can't see it taking more than 10 or 15 minutes to move it to where it needs to be.

Author: packy (MA)

a 4 piece tub and shower would cost at least double what a one piece costs. (same brand)..
as said above i would never want a 4 piece if i could have a one piece. also as said above, re-arranging the piping is about 10 minutes work.. it is a matter of a couple of inches..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.