Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How Does a Hose Pressure Regulator Work?
Author: Jeff L (CA)

I did some reading about how the presure reglator on your house works with a rubber diaphram and back pressure to keep the pressure constant, but that seems too comlicated to fit into a small hose regulator such as the Camco hose regulator or any of the regulators for RVs or drip systems. I thought maybe they are actually flow restrictors, but that's not the same as a regulator. So how do these devices lower the pressure?

Re: How Does a Hose Pressure Regulator Work?
Author: m & m (MD)

Basically, thru a spring-loaded diaphragm.

Thanks for the reply M&M big grin

Thanks for the reply M&M.

I've been doing some more thinking. I can't think of anyway to lower the pressure except to restrict the flow. So is a relulator basically just restricting the flow with a diaphragm that keeps the pressure constant by controlling the amount of restriction?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Just the opposite. It 'reduces the flow' by reducing the pressure. The flow opens the diaphragm, but the spring limits how far it can move, when it reaches the pressure setting.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I thing of the flow as the amount of water that gets through, and the diaphragm as a valve. The more the diaphragm is closed, the less water gets through reducing the pressure in the hose.

The reason I brought all this up is, I have a hose bib on the input side of the house regulator. I don't know if it age or pressure related, but lately the hose has been bulging and sometimes breaking at the nozzle end. I keep cutting out the bad part and moving the fitting. Yesterday I placed a large rubber tub washer with, I guess a 1/8 inch screw hole between two hose washers in the female connector. So far it's working with all the pressure I need. I was just wondering if I'm going to end up needing a regulator instead of my jury rigged fix.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You did not reduce the pressure, you only reduced the volume.

"You did not reduce the pressure, you only reduced the volume.".

And that gets back to what I don't understand. I only know of one way to control the water, and that is to make the opening smaller or larger as a valve does. So how does a hose pressure regulator actually reduce the pressure, not the volume?

Something like this:

[files.rvwholesalers.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It will always reduce the volume, and should be properly sized for flow. Picture a line with 150psi in it, and a spring adjusted plate to 150 psi. You get zero out of it, because it can't open. If you back off on the spring pressure, you get the difference in pressure on the down stream side. But, it does restrict the flow and must be sized for necessary flow.

Not trying to beat a dead horse to death, but regarding my original question, I came across a web page that shows the innards of a hose pressure regulator. I didn't think they could fit a real regulator in such a small package, but obviously they do. smile

Author: jphall61 (VA)

First a 'weak' connection failed in upstairs bathroom. Opened wall and replaced shower valve / replaced all elbows in the area and all good. Then toilets start flushing when we are asleep. Well the guts were pretty old so I replaced the guts there. Then my 14 year old water heater started leaking. Rather than call someone with a clue I pulled it out and replaced it. Now the new water heater is leaking but only from the pressure relieve valve and I finally spent $10 on a gauge. My water pressure is around 140lbs, with a regulator. I replaced the regulator and now the water pressure starts at 50lbs but it still creeps up over a few minutes when no demand. I can imagine I might need an expansion tank, a second regulator and maybe even a real plumber. Can you please say once more, why pressure might creep up on a brand new regulator?

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.