Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement bathroom rough in feasibility
Author: mcberry (MI)

Hi, I posted a similar thread about a month back and got some good feedback and ruled out my previous bathroom design. I'm wondering if something like this will be more feasible.

Below is a picture of the area I'd like to put my bathroom, but I'm not sure it's feasible given the size and constraints of existing plumbing.

I drew some black lines on the drawing showing one thought I had (toilet & lav both along side wall). I don't know the exact location of underslab drains. I do know there is a line running along the back wall from another stack, and that it flows into the picture stack in the direction shown (know this from looking into the cleanout).

I'm not sure exactly how this stack gets to the main cleanout. Also there is another stack that ties in somehow.

Also, I'm a bit confused by 704.3 of IPC. It mentions connecting to base of stack downstream 10x diameter of drain. In this case I'd be connecting upstream - would I still have to connect 10x diameter away? In this case would be 30" and would be pretty tight to do so. Then again I'm not a plumber, so could be misinterpreting the code entirely!

As a point of reference, the entire width of the area pictured is around 5 feet.

If need be I can put the half bath elsewhere in the basement where there is more space to work with, but would be nice if I could get it into this area. I'd love to know if there is no way to do this before I start doing exploratory surgery on my basement floor smiling smiley

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Basement bathroom rough in feasibility
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

No, the 10X rule only applies to downstream. You may need to break open the slab to determine if the placement of your new fixtures is practical, you can usually move a future fixture a few inches if needed.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Plumbing Suds Pressure Zone:

follow good practice (which often exceeds code)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

i consider myself to be fairly intelligent and also am able to read blueprints. BUT, i have no idea what that drwaing is all about ??????

704.6 Suds pressure zones vents. Where sinks, laundry trays, laundry washing machines, bathtubs, and similar fixtures in which detergents producing suds are normally used and discharged at an upper floor level into a soil or waste stack that also serves fixtures in other occupancy units at a lower floor level, the drainage and vent piping for such lower fixtures shall be arranged so as to avoid connection to suds pressure zones in the sanitary drainage and vent systems. If connected to the sanitary system, a suds relief vent relieving to a nonpressure zone shall be provided at each suds pressure zone where such connections are installed. The diameter of such relief vent shall be at least three-quarters the diameter of the piping in which the pressure zone occurs, but not less than 2 inches (51mm). Suds pressure zones shall be considered to exist at the following locations in sanitary drainage and vent systems when the piping serves fixtures on two or more floors that receive wastes that contain detergents producing suds:

1. In a soil or waste stack a zone shall be considered to exist in the vertical portion within 40 stack diameters of the base fitting.

2. In the horizontal drain at the base of a soil or waste stack a zone shall be considered to exist in the horizontal portion within 10 stack diameters of the base fitting. Where a 60-degree (1.05 rad)‡ or 90-degree (1.57 rad)‡ fitting is installed in the horizontal drain, a zone shall be considered to exist in the horizontal portion within 40 drain diameters upstream of and 10 drain diameters downstream of the fitting in accordance with Figure 704.6(2).

3. In a soil or waste stack offset of 60 degrees (1.05 rad)‡ or 90 degrees (1.57 rad)‡, a zone shall be considered to exist in the vertical portion of the stack within 40 stack diameters of the base fitting for the upper section of the stack. The zone shall be considered to exist in the horizontal offset within 10 stack diameters of such base fitting and within 40 stack diameters of the top fitting for the lower section of the stack.

4. In a vent stack that has its base connected to a suds pressure zone in the sanitary drainage system, a zone shall be considered to exist in the portion of the vent stack extending from its base connection up to the lowest branch vent fitting located above the level of the suds pressure zone in the sanitary drainage system.

Author: packy (MA)

yikes, i just did a job and there was a connection that was only 38.5 pipe diameters away.
question, am i going to burn in hell for eternity?

Author: hj (AZ)

No, but you may need a "Johnny Cochran" attorney when you are sued for improper installation. "It didn't fit, so you must acquit".

smiling smiley

A 'suds pressure zone', if ignored, is what makes the suds come out of the shower or tub drain !

packy,

38.5 ? folding rule broke ?

tongue sticking out smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.