Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Looking at plumbing as a possible career choice?
Author: LambentTyto (SC)

Hi,

I'm looking to possibly get into a trade, and I'm researching a few different things right now and I would like to know a little more about plumbing.

So I'd like to begin with, what do I do first? I heard something about getting an apprenticeship, but I'm unsure. How do you do that? Are preliminary classes required before that becomes an option? Is an apprenticeship required, or optional?

If anyone could help me out here by answer my questions, or if you could direct me to a page where I can get all my newbie questions answered, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Looking at plumbing as a possible career choice?
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

are you willing to do hard work? are you mechanical? are you afraid to get dirty?

If you answered YES, YES, NO then sure give it a shot winking smiley

The process to get into an apprenticeship program can take some time and some administrative type work and finding a shop who will take you on as an apprentice. In the mean time find a job as a laborer or helper for a plumbing company and start building your tool kit with the basics for now.

Good luck to you. The best part of plumbing is that there never seems to be a shortage of new things to learn.

Author: JLNY (NY)

I would recommend you look up your local plumbers Union and see what they have to say. I would also recommend you go to several local plumbing companies and ask if they are looking for help. You don't say if you live in a large metropolitan area or not, so union jobs may not be your best choice. Many local plumbing companies are willing to train you on the job. You may also want to look into local trade schools or community college to see what they offer.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

Author: hj (AZ)

Union shops are usually required to ONLY accept apprentices who are registered with the union, and those apprenticeships are SELDOM easy to obtain, unless you have a relative who is also in the union.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.