Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is the stinky smell by my bathroom from the septic tank?
Author: plumbinghelpneeded (MS)

We bought a mobile home, put it on some land we bought, had a septic tank put in and have been living in it for 2 years. I keep smelling a strange smell by my smallest bathroom wall. I started reading up on it and found out it might be a crack in the wall pipe that vents the drain lines. The article said go on the roof and pour peppermint oil in the roof vent pipe, go inside the house and if you smell peppermint oil in the house, you might have a crack in the pipe or it might be not fitting snug. Well no smell!

Question, if I go outside where the clean out cap is and take it off, if the odor is coming from gases from the septic tank, would they come out of this clean out before making it into the house? I have noticed my eyes don't burn, but are always crusty in the mornings frowning Not even sure if I just have a stinky bathroom. I smell it under the sink some too.

Please help with any suggestions or advice. I can't take the smell anymore.
Gayle

Re: Is the stinky smell by my bathroom from the septic tank?
Author: DouglasRowlett (TX)

There could be a crack or leakage in the pipe that cause smell. You can take the help of a professional to solve this problem.

Re: Is the stinky smell by my bathroom from the septic tank?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The odors will come out of the cleanout and any faults in your plumbing system. A bad wax seal is often the source of the odor.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! applause

Are you talking about the wax seal under the toilet? Are there others in a mobile home? I read once there are vent or filters under the sinks in mobile homes. Is that true? Here's the plumbing under the sink... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Edited 2 times.

Re: THANK YOU SO MUCH! applause
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, there's an air admittance valve at the top of the big black pipe in your picture, it just unscrews. Those type only cost a few dollars each and it's possible one of them is at fault. The wax seal under each toilet could allow sewer odors to escape as well.

Is the stinky smell by my bathroom from the septic tank?

I covered the air admittance valve under the sink for a test and still smell the bad odor. I do smell the odor in the bathroom, but more so in the hallway right outside the bathroom. Today I'm going to takeoff the cap to the outside clean out pipe and see if that helps. Maybe the septic tank gas will come out of there before coming into my house...if it is septic tank gas, I don't know yet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.