Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Specialty Tools
Author: Nurse (TX)

Had a plumber to charge me for what he called a "specialty tool" (socket wrench set T770) it was only $8.28 is this a common practice? Now I'm worried that he charged me for used parts.

Re: Specialty Tools
Author: hj (AZ)

"Specialty tools" are those which are NOT commonly used, and I do not know how a socket could qualify for that, and that would be an unusual fee for using one. If he was trying to "nickel and dime" you, there is no telling what he might have done to increase his profits. it is like the boy that graduated from optometry school and asked his dad, "How much should I charge my customers?" His dad told him, " you tell them the glasses are $400.00", and if they do not say anything, you add, "the lenses are $250.00", and if the still do not comment then you add "each", and finally you tell them the eye test is extra.

Author: packy (MA)

two totally different charges.
the socket charge is perfectly legal and not unethical. someone has to pay for specialty tools. if the charge was not spelled out but rolled into a special section on the bill. you would never know the difference.
as for used parts, that too is legal but it should specified..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Remember that packy, when you take your car in for repairs, and they charge you extra for a tool. I call BS on that one. Part of the reason you hire a professional, is, because he has the tools and expertise. If you hire a handyman, expect that.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'm with Paul on this one. I have lots of specialty tools that I have bought because I needed them to do a job. I wouldn't consider it professional to charge a customer for the tool. It will be used again on another job.
What kind of work did the plumber do ? I'm wondering if it was an element socket.

Author: m & m (MD)

You can charge per use for job specific tools, or you can roll the charge into the total bill. Usually, separate charges don't set as well with the client.

Author: jeff h (NJ)

i agree have never charged anyone for a specialty tool this is the first time i ever heard of it

Author: packy (MA)

when you pay 3 grand for a press tool and some heads, that cost is not absorbed and forgotten. customers wind up paying for it one way or another..

Author: srloren (CA)

Specialty Tool, Schmechalty Tool... it is BS. You are a Pro, you are expected to have all the tools to do a plumbing job. Now when it comes to Rental Tools such as Back Hoe and such, they will charge more than 100.00 per hour plus travel time. But these tools cost many Thousands of dollars. Don't get caught in the trap of ripping folks off... gives the trade a bad name.

3 grand is a different matter. He charged almost $9.00 for a socket he may only have paid $10.00 for and it sounds like he may have charged for it on a LOT of jobs.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

A major purchase of the type packy is referring to is always judged based on its worth and payback. You can't put a surcharge on customers bills because you chose to go propress, or get on board with pex. The amount charged by a professional plumber should reflect the fact that he HAS, and MAINTAINS all the necessary tools to do the job.

Author: steve_g (CA)

If the client had to pay for a specialty tool, it would become the client's tool, wouldn't it?

He's charging it as a "rent a tool" price/cost.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.