Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water pressure in hot water problems, why did the water Gods hate me?
Author: Bamamom99 (AL)

My problem is wth my water connections to my washing machine. As requested, I have searched all over your site & couldn't find the answer I needed. I have, what appears to be the whole plumbing setup of both hot and cold water pipes/valves/hoses connected to my washing machine. But ONLY the COLD water setup runs and work, and pretty well for that matter but more on that in a minute. Yes, I have gone through and worked on all the things of the basic troubleshooting checklist and tried a few more indepth things to no avail all of these examples that would have worked on are in regards to the hot water pipe and valve system-made sure that it was turned on-turned it off/disconnected it from the washer then turning it back on and nothing, not a dribble not even the slightest sound of even a small amount of water trickling inside of a hose, not a vibration of the home it's almost as and right now thats the only problem I can think of is that the opposite end from the one attached to the washing machine is not actually hooked up to anything(again like I said above more on that in a minute)-i disconnected the hose from the pipe in the washing machine and ran water through it to see if it was clogged up and it wasn't and then I finally checked the inside of the pipe the best I could from where I disconnected the valve by using a skinny plumbing snake pushing it in as far down as I could only going about a foot at a time and pulling it back out to see if he kind of sludge or anything was clogging it. I'm not quite sure how far down I got that it seems like a good little ways before I felt actual resistance which I could tell was more less that I hit a T connector spot or a sharp curve in the pipe it did not feel it all soft or anything to indicate it was a clog that that cause the resistance it was definitely solid. Anyway there are 2 hard metal type pipes that come up from the kitchen floor, they both look exactly the same width and height speaking , where and how the hoses attached and even the valves used , the only difference is one is red one is blue . The hard pipe come up a good two and a half 3 feet from the floor at which point the on off valve and hose attach to the pipe and the hoses then attach to their respective mates on the washing machine. Now for whatever reason I have looked underneath the kitchen where the pipes should be coming out and it's close to the water heater and everything and I cannot for the life of me figure out where the pipes go once they go through the kitchen floor it's almost as if because this house has been added on to so much that may be the pipes are somehow now hidden in a smaller type of cross stays within a crawl space cuz I just cannot find them to find the starting point of those. But what's weird as I kind of referred to above and what essentially make this a two part question because it all seems to be connected, the cold water that does fill up the washing machine and it being the only actual pipe that works that goes to the washing machine has the absolute best water pressure in the entire house as opposed to every other faucet toilet the shower and even the three hose pipe spigots outside of the house. We have 1 full bath & 1 half bath so we have two bathroom sinks when is upstairs one is in the but they equally have the same horrible water pressure doesn't matter if its hot or cold being used except for the hot does have a little less pressure but overall the pressure none the less is horrible even when running the hot and cold full blast. In general in my entire house, water pressure is so awful except for the cold water in the washing machine which I don't know why I find that so weird and fascinating, it could be because the ends of the pipes for the washing machine seem to just be there for looks since I can't find the other end and they just magically pour out only cold water but with the best pressure as any other water producing instrument in the house., in the kitchen even though I removed the tips and screens from the faucet and less than 2 years ago even replace entire faucet system including the knobs to turn the water on and off and the separate sprayer which don't even get me started on that one because it's literally the equivalent filling up a2 liter bottle of water and poking a couple of little thumbtack holes in it and that is the most water that comes out of that sprayer even with both hot and cold turned on full blast. regardless if its the kitchen or either of the bathrooms the pressure is about the same, just imagine if I turn on both hot and cold wide open on any of d3 sinks the pressure is equivalent to that of any normally functioning single hot or cold turned on a little less than half way , and that is literally no exaggeration thats how crappy our water pressure is . So obviously it can probably go without saying , even though I I'm going to, the pressure in the shower is horrible whether it's coming straight from the faucet alone or the shower head. I have changed the shower head and I've dabbled with the restrictor thing in it and it did not change the pressure much at all. The only thing I haven't messed with is the Pressure Balance Rough Valve because they are too expensive for my single parent income salary to replace. Although I have watched some videos& have read quite a few things about cleaning it and/or what I'm guessing is basically manually manipulating it somehow by altering or removing one or more parts from within it. If I can get a good set of instructions or a really good step by step video and becomes at least 95% positive that I understand what it is I'm going to be doing and what will be the outcome and also if I can't this side of doubts about my ability to do it then I'm willing to try working with that part of it but that's a very expensive mistake they can't afford to create right now. I have no issues with hot water anywhere else in the house. If anyone has any ideas indigestion on what I'm missing as far as trying to track down where the mystical pipes may seem to be once they disappear beneath the kitchen floor then please give me some suggestions even if the suggestion may seem so simple to you or to the experts because I'm not an expert by any means. I've just learned what I've learned because it's had to and I know sometimes the answer to a lot of things is the simplest and most obvious but is often overlooked because of that. So if there are any suggestions or ideas other than what I've stated above please throw them at me, at this point the only thing I've figured out is that it seems obviously to not be a problem arising from the top half. Of the plumbing that I have checked. And along with that if anyone has any suggestions that I can only hope are simple DIY and most importantly cheap if not free tips or tricks and even preferably step-by-step links or whatever about increasing the overall pressure in my home since it really doesn't seem to be limited to one area.

Re: Water pressure in hot water problems, why did the water Gods hate me?
Author: srloren (CA)

To have good water pressure there should be no obstructions anywhere in your system. Depending on the symptoms, you would normally start with the pressure regulator outside or in the basement of your home.

It sounds like you need a pro to come out and clean out your balancing valve as you are afraid to tackle it. If you have cleared out all screens in the Pressure Regulator if applicable, washing machine hoses, and strainers in faucets in your home and the only problem is with your faucet that has the balancing valve, Bingo. That appears to be the problem according to your massive description that has superfolous words. You would aid your self by only saying what is necessary to convey the problem. Forget the "as far as I can tell" etc. Make it simple to understand and you will more likely get a resonable response and more quickly. Hope this does not offend you, just trying to help. All the best.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is no way I would ever try to read and decipher an "essay" like that. All we need to know is the basic facts without any embellishments.

Author: hi (TX)

There appears to be a dangling participle in the 4th sentence...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.