Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dedicated water heater for a washing machine
Author: sum (FL)

I need a dedicated water heater for a washing machine.

Have been debating between a tankless and tanked, looking at space available, wiring requirements etc...

Right now I have an extra 20A 120V circuit that can be dedicated to a small water heater.

Rheem has a small 10 gallon tank I have been considering. but it is a bigger round tank, and it uses a 2000W element, which means at 120V it draws 16.7A kind of cutting close to 20A.

I found another mini tank by Bosch, a Bosch Tronic 3000T Mini-Tank Series ES8 which has a 7 gallon capacity and 1440W, 120V. One nice feature with this is the tank is rectangular and can be wall mounted, which means it solves my space problem.

The question is, will a 7G heater do OK for a traditional washing machine? I don't mean those high efficiency front loading ones, but a standard full size work horse washing machine.

Re: Dedicated water heater for a washing machine
Author: m & m (MD)

Possibly, if the hot is only being used for the first wash and then warm/cold for everything following.

I understand.

I guess the other question is if its a good idea to wall mount a water heater. I am thinking it is going to be 50 pounds once full even for a 7 gallon?

I can mount it on concrete blocks with tapcon screws.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

1 gallon water = 8.334 pounds

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I asked the manufacturer and was told the shipping weight is 35 pounds. If I add 7 gallons of water to it that would make it about 60 pounds so total U say 95 pounds.

Is 95 pounds too much to "wall mount"?

Author: steve (CA)

If the manufacturer provides wall mounting hardware, it should have been tested/certified and you're good to go.

Author: RRWA (WA)

Your plan will not work very well.

7 or 10 gallons will not be enough to fill your full-size top-loading washing machine with HOT water. (it will be maybe lukewarm)

You can measure the wash tub to determine the volume, or even fill it up with some 5-gallon buckets to see just how much water it holds.

Please let us know your results.

You may be right.

I am just going by some typical numbers that says top load washers take 30 - 40 gallons per load, with older washers consuming more and the high efficiency ones under 20 gallons.

So I assume say 30 gallons, 15 wash and 15 rinse. Now I know even on "hot" it is not burning hot, I can put my hands into the stream as it fills so if thats 7.5G hot water and 7.5G of cold I should be ok with a 7G. It may not recover in time for the rinse cycle but that's a lesser concern.

I don't have room for a larger 20G and it is a big project to run #6 wires there for a tankless (that was my initial thinking). We will see how that works.

Author: steve (CA)

Sum, I don't think "hot" setting on washer allows a mix of cold. That Bosch w/h has a 6.8gph recovery for 90* rise.

steve, if the hot setting doesn't mix in any cold the hot water coming right out of the water heater should burn my hands right? I have the washer right in the garage and next to it is the HWH set to 120. I always wash on "hot" and many times would reach into the washer as it fill the hot water to redistribute the load or to flip something inside out.

The other thing is if it recovers in 30 minutes for a 90 degree rise...well I am in south florida the incoming cold water is like 95 degrees so I only need a rise of 15 degrees in the summer and 25 degrees in the winter. I kind of consider the standard cold water "warm" already.

Author: pnhome (MI)

On a modern washer, the cycle will select a target temperature (say 110f for hot)and modulate hot and cold to get the right mix.

Also: top loaders are now also using less water than they used to.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.