Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 bathtub hot water pressure suddenly low
Author: flotsamandjetsam (OR)

I turned off the hot and cold water supply valves to install a new shower head on my tub/shower combo. When I turned the valves back on, the cold water ran at the same pressure as before, but the hot water pressure was significantly weaker, coming from both the tub faucet and the shower head. I made sure the hot water valve was turned all the way on, but the pressure is still considerably low. Does anyone have any idea why this would have happened and what to do about it? Thanks!

Re: bathtub hot water pressure suddenly low
Author: m & m (MD)

Something internally has changed inside the valve body causing a restriction. It could be a washer or a gate depending on the valve type.

Author: steve (CA)

What valves did you turn off and why?

I turned off the two valves - for the hot and cold water respectively - between the supply pipes and the tub. I probably didn't need to do that to replace the shower head, but didn't want to take any chances of water spraying anywhere. Everything was great until I turned both valves back on, at which point the hot water pressure was, and continues to be, weak - just a trickle. This is the case whether it's coming from the tub faucet or the shower head. The cold water pressure is fine. The hot and cold water pressure are fine in the bathroom sink as well as in the kitchen sink. The only thing that changed was the hot water pressure in the bathtub.

Edited 1 times.

The hot water shut-off valve maybe be broken and not fully opening, or debris might have been dislodged and is stuck in the control valve. Are the shut-off valves integral with the control or separate valves? Does the hot shut-off look like it can be disassembled?

There is a bolt between the shut-off mechanism and the pipe leading into the bathtub, and another bolt between the shut-off mechanism and the pipe leading into the floor.

Author: RRWA (WA)

Please post a picture of the valves.

The hot water valve is the one closer to the camera:

And here's the faucet shut-off:

Thank you so much! smiling smiley

Thank you so much! smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

I removed the piece you said to remove (after shutting off the hot water supply at the water heater), but there was no washer inside. I used a paperclip to poke around in the pipe and didn't feel anything causing an obstruction. Do you have other ideas about what it might be? Thanks for all your help.

Taking a second look at the photo, the stem on the angle stop appears to be grey plastic and I seen on some of those, that no washer is used. The stem tip is tapered and seals directly into the seat. Next thing would be to remove the hot stem from the tub/shower control valve and check it for debris. With the stem out, open the angle stop a little and see if anything flushes out from the control valve.

I removed the handle on the hot water stem and saw this:

Bad image link

Please repost proper link.

Author: saniconenergy (Non-US)

"""It seems that there are some debris which have got stuck. If u can remove the valve and then check with water supply open, what kind of pressure you are getting with valve removed. It would be give you an idea where the problem is.
"" "

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.