Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 relocate drain around a corner from the stack
Author: kento77 (Non-US)

Yeah, this is a 6" stud wall and the supply lines are around the corner from the stack. The original guys just went into the side of the vanity with the drain but now the new vanity is 3.5 inches away from the wall so we need to hide that abs pipe!
I hate to dig a 1-1/2" hole into these studs without being sure first!

Edited 2 times.

Re: relocate drain around a corner from the stack
Author: packy (MA)

1 1/2 inch notch is not a problem in a 2 x 6 stud. still have 4 inches left..

yeah, there's still enough meat...

So, notch or holes...

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Be sure to use nail guards, or stud plates to protect the pipe from nails.

Author: hj (AZ)

Yo are going to have to notch the corner, but can drill through the triple stud.

Thanks for your comments smile

Thanks for your comments.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for your comments smile
Author: kumba (FL)

Move the T into the subfloor and run it where you want then pop it back up. Not as easy as notching the corner studs but maybe easier then relocating/moving/messing-up all that wiring. Going to have to cut out the old T anyways so might as well look at other options then just doing it how they did it. Looks like the floor joists are going that direction so might make it easier then it seems. Just depends on what's under the floor smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

even if it were easier, they would need to vent back into the stack or seperate vent thru the roof.

Author: srloren (CA)

You are going to have to be careful to not disrupt the wiring and move it out of the way. If I were doing this around the corner install, I would use a long turn 90 in the corner and come out with a 45 to the trap. Makes it easy to snake in the future.

It's a rat's nest under there with tin, copper supply lines and electrical. Really tough option but thanks for the suggestion!

It may be too tight for a long 90 in there but I'll check into it. I like the idea of making it more snakeable with that and the 45 stub out. Thanks for the suggestions!

Author: kumba (FL)

I thought you could have 5 linear feet of pipe from the stack with 1 1/4" pipe without venting issues. Guess it depends how far away the drain would actually be. Could also run pipe up inside the wall and have a small grate in the wall for an air vent valve. Not sure how tacky that would look in a house setting. See that done all the time for commercial work.

Author: sum (FL)

If you have a multi-tool the notching of the corner would be a breeze, just be careful with the wiring.

Regarding the new vanity being 3.5" from the wall on that side which prompted you to have to relocate the trap arm. I wouldn't do that for that reason. I have done a similar thing in the past due to the location of the vanity light - I wanted to center the vanity to the center of the light and end up with a vanity about 4" from the side wall, and I didn't even need to move the drain. But that 4" gap has been an issue with tooth brushes, razors, dental floss, electric shaver charger...all kinds of loose items fallen into that space.

And it looks a little odd with that gap. You might think seeing a pipe below through that gap is odd, but over time you might see the gap itself being there as odd. I have actually considered ordering a new piece of granite 8" longer so that it would cover the gap, or build out the wall to be flushed against the edge, or solve the problem by moving the vanity electrical junction box so that it will center when the vanity is against the wall. My wife said why not build a 4" wide "shelf"? Knowing what I know now, I would leave the pipe alone, and find a better way for the vanity and the wall to meet. Now if your vanity has side drawers and the pipe is in the way of closing those drawers, then it's different.

Edited 2 times.

You raise some good points there but this vanity does have the drawers on the side. We have 55 inches between the wall and the tub and a 48 inch sink/vanity. (with the drawers)
I'd much rather just stub in the side of the vanity but it's not possible which is why we need to run around the corner.

Author: Zgib (NV)

If that 1 1/2" trap arm is longer than 42 inches, it must be revented back into that vent stack or out through the roof on its own. If it's run longer than that and not vented, it can cause problems with drainage of the lav. (Slow drainage)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.