Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Under sink mess - any suggestions?
Author: donzi2k (FL)

Hi,

My garbage disposal just died the other night, so getting ready to replace, I found this gem after pulling the wife's collection of cleaning supplies (ironic?). The pipe to the right appears to be the vent, had duct tape loosely covering the top of it.

I know it needs to vent, do I have any other options other than knocking a hole through the back wall of the cabinet and through the house to the outside? IMO the electrical outlet is also way too low, but that's another topic along with the mold that's now gone.

Re: Under sink mess - any suggestions?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

All you need is a short piece of pipe and an air admittance valve.

Excellent! Thanks! laugh

Excellent! Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

The nut under the basket strainer is cracked and needs to be replaced. While you're under there, how are the angle stops working? With all the corrosion showing on them, they look suspect for needing replacement.

Thanks I did notice that as well, thanks for looking out. I plan on replacing the whole lot to the out pipe and replacing the drain in the 2nd sink as well. I was also going to add a P trap on the outpipe from the new disposal since it looks like it was going to face downward anyhow.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; I was also going to add a P trap on the outpipe from the new disposal

HOW you do it will determine whether it is a good idea or not.

Author: hi (TX)

1) You may want to consider replacing the rotted floor of the cabinet then use some vinyl flooring material to waterproof the floor.

2) How about replacing the horizontal connecting pipe with one long enough so that you don't have to use a tailpiece elongation piece to make it longer?

[#$%&]

Thanks again everyone thumbs

Thanks again everyone. Worked out pretty well. Disposal went in without issue, and I replaced the right side drain which was also installed incorrectly and re-did all plumbing to out pipe. So far leak free and running better than before. My pvc cement dried so other than picking up that to secure the vent job is complete. I threw a tub of damp rid in there to soak up the moisture and will replace the floor or at least re-cover with some vinyl when it's dried out.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

can you loop the dishwasher drain hose up high and then have it drop down to connect to the disposal?

Thank you for pointing this out as well. I was not aware of the High loop until you mentioned it. Problem solved.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.