Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help identifying shower knob maker
Author: Harmony Joy (CA)

I live in California and have a leaking shower faucet. With the ongoing drought I REALLY want to get this fixed but can't figure out who makes the knob that needs repairing. It is a single knob (I'll attempt to include pictures) you do NOT turn it...
Up is On
Down is off
push right for COLD
push left for HOT

I have contacted about 5 different shower faucet makers and all say they are NOT theirs. I believe it was put in during the 80's or early 90's.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Need help identifying shower knob maker
Author: packy (MA)

99% sure it is valley..
[www.google.com]

Author: flightseven (FL)

looking like a delta ball.

Joe Rocket south Fl Plumber

I asked valley... they told me it wasn't theirs.

Just sent pictures to Delta... will let you know what I hear back.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[arpny.com]

happy hunting

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

The site said they can't tell unless I take it apart... when I asked for help on how to do that, they said, call a plumber. Nice. I am amazed at how hard it is to get a leaking faucet repaired. sigh.

So far no reply from Delta.

Author: steve (CA)

For a start, just remove the 2 screws and trim plate. Then take a picture of the valve housing and that might help us with an id.

I sent them this photo.

It's a Milwaukee/Universal Rundle

Search Danco 80959

Edited 3 times.

NOW YOU GAVE ME THE INFO I NEEDED AT LAST ... YAHOO!!! clap

WOW! You are my hero! This looks exactly like the right one! I will order today and work on getting our leak solved. To recap what it took to get this info:
Sterling/Moen - no
Valley - no
Precision Plumbing - no
Price Pfister - no
online plumbing store - no - referred to this forum
Delta - no response
another plumbing store referral - call a plumber
NOW YOU GAVE ME THE INFO I NEEDED AT LAST ... YAHOO!!!

Edited 2 times.

installation help - please advise

Ok... so I have the part (Danco 80959 faucet cartridge for universal Rundle and Milwaukee. The question is now... do I need a cartridge puller to take the old one out? None of our 3 local hardware stores carry cartridge pullers and I can't figure out which one online is the correct one. I appreciate your help on this!

Re: installation help - please advise

Normally, the cartridge will just pull out, after removing the retainer ring. With the second picture you posted, did you already unscrew the retainer ring?

I just took the cover off again and think perhaps the retainer ring is off? What do I do next?

Also... in my online research is says to have silicone grease - is silicone dielectric compound the same thing or do I need to get "grease" version?

The ring that screws onto the exposed threads shown in you picture, should be what keeps the cartridge from blowing out of the valve body. Try pulling on the cartridge's brass shaft and see if the cartridge pulls out. The dielectric grease might work, but you want something "food grade safe" and there is a silicone faucet grease available.

Thanks! I'll buy the grease tomorrow and try to pull it out. I really appreciate your help!

still dripping

Blimey. I changed the faucet cartridge... was able to just pull out and push in the new one and the faucet still has a small leak... drip. I am not sure if there is anything I can do. Suggestions anyone? Could tightening the ring that holds it together help? I used channel locks and tightened as much as I was physically able. Do I need to get a stronger than person? Will I crack anything if I keep tightening? could the leak be somewhere else?

Re: still dripping

The retaining ring just needs to be snug. Pull the cartridge and check the black seals on the backside of the cartridge. Also check inside the valve housing, where those seals seal against, to see if there's any debris/mineral deposits/roughness. It should be clean smooth brass.

Re: still dripping

Where is the drip coming from? The tub spout or the handle/cartridge?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.