Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Constant sound of water dripping into hot water tank drain
Author: Hazy (Non-US)

Hi,

I hope someone can help me here.

The problem is that for the past couple of weeks I have noticed a constant sound of water dripping in the area of the hot water tank. The hot water tank is just over a year old and was installed by a professional plumber and is sitting next to a stacked washer dryer. There is no water/moisture around or underneath the hot water tank or in the tray of the hot water tank.

After a little investigation, I think I have found the source of the problem. A pipe comes out of the wall and has a "T" section as indicated by the yellow circled area labelled by the letter "A" in the image below.

There is a semi-felxible hose (indicated by the red arrow in the image above) that runs down from the "T" section of the pipe and goes directly downwards and into the hot water tank drainage area (as indicated by the yellow circled area labelled by the letter "B" in the image below).

When I pull this hose out of the hot water tank drain, I see that there is a very small stream of water that continuosly keeps pouring out of the hose. Whern I shuffle the hose back into the drain again, I can make the sound of the water dripping into the drain stop, if I manage to push the hose down far enough (the hose is not long enough). I assume that if this hose is pushed down far enough, there is no gap between the end of the hose and the body of water in the drain, so rather than falling from a small height out of the hose, the water coming down this hose simply flows into the body of water already inside the drain, hence eliminating the annoying constant sound of water dripping. It might be of importance to also mention that the sound of the water dripping (increased flow of water in the hose) significantly increases particularly when the kitchen tap is being used.

My main concern is that there is a constant flow of water continuosly running down this hose, even when no water tap is being used in the apartment unit. Is this normal? Or is this an early sign of an upcoming bigger problem. Please help. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Edited 2 times.

Trap primer
Author: steve (CA)

You have a defective trap primer that needs replacing(maybe disassembled and cleaned?).

[www.mifab.com]

Thanks for your reply Steve. smile
Author: Hazy (Non-US)

Thanks for your reply Steve. Based on your experience, is this something that needs to be taken care of right away or is it ok to put it off for a little bit?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Trap primer
Author: steve (CA)

Do you have an unlimited free supply of water? It should be repaired ASAP.

Re: Trap primer
Author: srloren (CA)

I haven't verified this but it sounds like it could be accurate. Many are realizing what a Limited Resource Water is. Be Frugal with water use. LEAKS ARE EXPENSIVE!

Regardless of the size of the leak, it represents waste!
In worn faucet washers, toilet flappers, leaky sprinkler valves, ect.

Diameter of Leak Galllons Wasted Per Month

1/32 inch 4,800
1/16 inch 10,200
1/8 inch 76,900
1/4 inch 307,700
3/8 inch 692,400

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.