Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water heater blew up
Author: bplumbing (TN)

Went to a job where customer had gas company out working on lp gas tank. Customer called because water heater wouldnt lite. Went out and tried to lite heater and wouldnt lite. Ask some questions and found out gas company had been there and checked and it was to much gas pressure. Then called gas comapny and told them they put wrong regulator in and they argued with me and said theirs was right and my gauge must be broke very arrongantly. Customer decided to buy new heater but when I lite it the bottom blew off and burnt my hair off arm,face and head. Boss man from gas company came out and said employee did put wrong regulator in and was very sorry. Ever since then im having terrible headaches, any idea what could cause headaches. Thanks for ideas

Re: water heater blew up
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You could have a concussion, have you been to the doc ? How long ago did this happen ? What pressure regulator did the gas company have on the line ? Was it labeled as to the pressure ?

About a week ago. No havent been to dr. Im not one to cause trouble and luckily not burned so wasnt a big deal. Gas company told me they put regulator in that was a 7 w.c. to 11.5 w.c. but when boss with gas company came it was a 11.5 to 17

Author: Paul48 (CT)

NC may be right. A concussion is nothing more than your brain banging against the inside of your skull. Get your arse to the doctor, pronto. If it hit hard enough, you could have bleeding, and that can kill you, or cause a stroke. As a matter of fact, I'd go to the hospital, a doctor will not have the necessary equipment.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for replies! thumbs

Thanks for replies! I dont feel like I had concusion and have been working, just with terrible headache but who knows. I might go by dr tomorrow

Edited 1 times.

My sister-in-law had a terrible headache. It was an embolysm, she had a stroke. I hate to be an alarmist and hate the doctors myself, but go and tell him what happened.

Author: hj (AZ)

There had to other factors at work also. That would be consistent with connecting propane to a natural gas heater. THe heater's regulator in the gas valve should have either limited the amount of gas flowing, and that regulator would not have overpowered it. BEsides, by definition, the FVIR system on the new heater was designed to contain ANY "explosion" in the combustion chamber and NOT let it escape to burn you.It might be similar to a situation I encountered many years ago. I was refilling some road flares with kerosene and this old guy started backing away from me. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me "that stuff is explosive". I laughed and said, I have to use a blowtorch to light these flares so it is NOT dangerous. He then told me that when he was younger, he was driving a truck and the engine stopped. In those days the gas tank was behind the seat. He said he used a kerosene lantern over the gas filler to check to see if the tank was empty, and the "lantern blew up on hime".

Edited 2 times.

It was a propane heater to propane tank. The heater is working fine now that the gas company did their part right.

Author: srloren (CA)

You need to get to a hospital and get checked out because you may need a brain scan to see what has happened to your brain from the concussion. Don't even think about waiting to see what will happen. All the best to you.

By definition I know what the new heaters are suppose to do and how they work. I have been doing this for 25 years. I also know that 3 other people saw what happened and the heater actually picked up off ground a couple inches. Not sure why it did it but do know once gas compqny installed the right regulator that I insisted wasnt right the heater works perfectly fine

Consider it a lesson learned......Have 2 gauges, and trust your gauges, only.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.