Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet is filling very slowly
Author: nomi (FL)

My toilet is filling very slowly. I have already checked the fill device where the water first comes in and there is no debris there. The water is coming in just fine and the bowl itself is filling up normally. The problem is that in the top part of the toilet, it is taking a long time to fill up there even though the water seems to coming in fine. Eventually, the fill line will be reached and the device that floats up will cut off the water. Any ideas why its taking so long for the water to fill up the upper tank compartment? It's like 6-10 minutes to fill which is ridiculous. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Re: Toilet is filling very slowly
Author: packy (MA)

in my opinion, it has to be debris. somewhere???

Its not debris and the water is gushing in as it goes into the tube. It's filling up fast in the bowl but not in the top part. I can't figure it out.

i've never seen that happen ?? could it be the place at the bottom of the fill valve where the water comes out is clogged?
i'm willing to bet the mortgage on debris..
in any case, changing a fill valve is a very easy job.. unless it is an old house with no shutoffs and corroded piping.

Thanks for replying smile

Thanks for replying. You said, could it be the place at the bottom of the fill valve where the water comes out is clogged? So the fill value is the device that goes up when the water comes into the top part of the toilet? I am able to turn off the water and the plumbing is not old. I flushed the top of the fill valve and there was no debris there. I don't know how to check the bottom of the fill valve where the water comes out???? Again, the water is filling up with great pressure....its just not filling up in the top part. I'm just confused on what you were telling to check. Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

THe valve has something clogging it. Either clear it out or replace the fill valve.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A Fluidmaster 400A and 5 minutes of time and the problem will be solved.

Here's what I think the problem is. That flap that opens up when you flush the toilet is not providing a leakproof seal and I think there is a leak there. Does that control the water that is coming in the top part of the toilet and if that was not a solid seal, then would that cause that toilet to fill up slowly on the top part?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

When the tank finally fills up, are you seeing water trickling constantly into the bowl?....Look closely

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Food coloring

No, once the tank is full and the water stops filling up, I don't see water continue to leak in the toilet bowl. But that flapper is clearly not making a good seal. That needs to be replace. I just don't know if that will solve my problem or not.

if you don't see water coming into the bowl (once the tank is full) then the flapper is NOT leaking.
a leaking flapper would trickle water down into the bowl and cause the fill valve to actuate. there is absolutely no way it can slow down the flow from the fill valve.
so, pretty much we are all saying the same thing. replace the fill valve.

Thanks for your help big grin

ok thanks. I will replace both the flapper and the fill valve today and hopefully that will do it. Thanks for your help. I will let you know if that does it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for your help again clap

Ok here is the latest. I'm still having issues but I think you were right about the debris. I took the fill valve off completely and in the bottom where the long part connects to the part that remains in the toilet, there was a lot of debris. I cleared that out. My issue now is that when I put the fill valve back, there is water still coming through the very bottom of the fill value. I guess I am not tightening it well enough on the very bottom of the toilet where the water comes into the toilet. I am trying to do this with my hand and I guess a tool would tighten it completely. Would that debris/sediment that I found on the bottom of the fill value hinder the filling up of the top part of the toilet. It doesn't seem to have hindered the filling up of the toilet itself. The water was coming in with great force to fill up the toilet which is why I didn't think there was debris. What tool would I need to tighten the bottom of the fill value to keep the water from seeping in at the bottom of the fill value. Thanks for your help again.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for your help again clap

The toilet is working perfectly now. I got all the debris cleared and changed the flapper and all is well. I bought an adjustable wrench to tighten the valve and I'm done. Thanks for your help. smiling smiley

if you weren't so far away, i'd ask to borrow your new wrench.
just kidding...
glad it all worked out for you..

thanks...and you are welcome to borrow my wrench. smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.