Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Valve Stem Installation
Author: qleicke (TX)

I ran across a post about a leaky shower head after installation of a new valve stem and seat.
I had a similar issue and after double checking everything ...making sure everything was tight, etc., the only thing I can think of is putting tape on the stem threads....the strange thing is that when I had the old stem and seat in place with damaged washers, I had a leaky handle, but the shower head wasn't leaking???
I will try putting tape on the stem threads and repost.

Re: Shower Valve Stem Installation
Author: srloren (CA)

Sounds like the leak at the stem was enough to not allow water to travel up to the head. Some times it takes more than new washers but also new seats. I am thinking of the older seperate handle tub and shower valves.

Yes, I put in a new seat at the same time I put in the stem

Author: holland123 (MI)

Need more info such as brand and style... 2/ 3 handle tub and shower, shower only, on the outside I would say that you have wrong seat or wrong stem depth, was old seat square or hex interior? New one the same? A miniscule difference can cause this, is it possible you stripped the seat into the valve body? Or seat not fully seated into valve body? Old stem and new stem exact match? Length, diameter of washer, distance of travel, length between washer and knurling, etc.

I took my old stem to hardware store and found an identical stem to match the old one. The hardware guy actually found the matching stem and we both examined it for comparison.
Don't know what the old stem brand was, but the new one is a Sayco. The Sayco had a seat included.
I'm just wondering if I need to put tape or grease on the stem threads....do you think that would help?

also, this is an old style shower with two shower handles and a shower head....no tub

Edited 1 times.

Sayco eh , never liked em, I would look closer at your seat. Is it exactly the same diameter,and thickness ? Maybe try a different seat. Tape or grease on stem isn't going to solve this, water is getting by the washer to seat compression, possibly change washer maybe one on stem was old and hardened, I have even seen where the stem was bent very slightly and not matching up to seat ptoperly. Sayco is a kind of skinny stem so check that as well. Roll it on a table and see if it's uniform.

Author: hj (AZ)

Where is it leaking, because there are many possibilities and each has its own cure.

The stem and seat are both new, the assembly all seems uniform, but evidently the seat isn't sealing off the water, so I will try a different seat. Thanks

It is leaking at the shower head

try a fresh washer too

Author: srloren (CA)

I am assuming you have a seat wrench to remove the old seat and install the new one, and did you compare the threds old to new?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.