Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sink drain pitch
Author: ytp. (NY)

I have a drain coming down from second floor to basement in the wall. it used to go in to the ground, but i just dug down basement so i ran it through the basement ceiling. being that it had to cross ovver the main beam, i had to squeeze it in over beam and it lost the pitch, probably even negative pitch. my question is that being that its coming down 2 flights on a 180 degree pitch will it have enough power to cross the 15 feet of negative pitch? please advise. thank you

Re: sink drain pitch
Author: m & m (MD)

If it was ONLY water moving thru the drain you would be fine. Unfortunately, waste/drain water has much more than that in it and you may be experiencing some issues in the future.

Thanks. my other option is to run it around the whole basement in the wall, probably about 100 feet, which is a lot of work and money. so how bad do you think it is? what are my chances of it being fine? its a 2" from sinks and washing machine

Author: hj (AZ)

and if it doesn't work out are you going to holler at us for not making you do it correctly? Regardless of how much velocity the water has, the negative area will ALWAYS be full of water causing resistance to your theory.

Thanks for answering smile

I understand. thanks for answering. but what is the worst case scenerio if there is water sitting there? when fresh water comes down it will move it along. will it start leaking? its pvc so i don't think it will ruin pipe. please advise

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It MAY move it along, but more than likely it will just mix with the standing water because the standing water will slow it down to a crawl.

Author: packy (MA)

the worst that will happen is you will to snake the pipe periodically. how often depends on the amount of use, the amount of solids in the water and the amount of backpitch. just make sure you have at least one cleanout upstream and one downstream the cleaning the pipe easier.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.