Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Possibly Capped Vent Line
Author: e0steven (MI)

I've been renovating the kitchen thinking of adding in a dishwasher and when I tore open the wall I found what I believe is a capped off vent line. The PVC has a cap on it and the run goes, from what I can tell, straight up.

Checking in the basement and there is a pretty obvious cut/patch that looks like it used to feed that line into the main sewer line. I believe it was done to move the sink at some point and as far as I can tell the sink line runs directly into the main now.

So I am thinking two things, 1) do I need to do anything about that pipe and 2) if I do I'm guessing it's going to have water in it (from rain going through the vent through the roof?) and finally there isn't much room to fix it in crawl, I'd probably have to run it through the wall/cut holes in the studs to bring it back to the sink trap line.

OR

Re: Possibly Capped Vent Line
Author: bernabeu (SC)

the drawing in the middle is the way to go

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

That's what I was thinking, unfortunately it's really tight in the crawl to get that Y in there. Secondly when I cut that pipe I'm guessing it's going to be full or at least have some water in it.

I know that fixing it is the right plan, we've lived with it like that for a while though, negatives of leaving it?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

place a bucket

drill a 1/8" hole sideways at the base to drain any water

chew a piece of bubble gum just in case

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

assuming there is a trap under that sink, the only way it can run down thru the floor would be to make it a full 'S' trap. so even if you vent it below the floor it still won't be right.

Yes, sorry in my very very crude drawing there is a full s-trap under the sink. Hence we haven't had any sewer gas issues or anything else backing up or draining slowing. Not sure if it helps that we have a sink grinder that feeds the sink line.

I was more worried about the capped pipe in the wall, not necessarily the sink itself.

Thanks for the advice thumbs

I know we're several states away, but I like your attitude. Sounds like something my father would have said. Thanks for the advice.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for the advice thumbs

Update, got it tackled, here's the result:

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.