Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot Water Tank - Low Flow Running Water Noise - Help
Author: cjlee (Non-US)

Hi can't figure my electric water tank situation out and not sure if the contractor's/developers installed it correctly, since my neighbours have a different configuration.

Situation
I currently hear a low flow running water sound coming from the cold supply water valve that leads into the hot water tank. The cold water supply valve does have a drain outlet which they have attached some smaller piping and connectors to lead into the drain pan/hole below the tank (note my tank is upstairs). I currently see a slow flow of water coming out of this drain piping, which I believe is causing the issue. I believe after researching this issue, I have seen a few configurations where there is an expansion tank to keep the system closed, which I believe my system is currently not. However my neighbours have a small brass fitting that is between the cold water valve drain and the piping. Can my problem be that I am missing this fitting/device or are there other issues. Can anyone tell me what this fitting is perhaps.

Here are some pictures to give a visual

My Configuration - Sounds like low flow running water coming out of the valve drain
[drive.google.com]

My Neighbour's Configuration
[drive.google.com]

Re: Hot Water Tank - Low Flow Running Water Noise - Help
Author: packy (MA)

we don't do anything like this in the US ???

Re: Hot Water Tank - Low Flow Running Water Noise - Help
Author: KLGallman (TN)

There are many types of sound that come out from water heater and every sound has its own cause like a humming sound is caused due to space between the looped tube is vertical to the tank. Electric water heater elements will make a cracking or popping sound when they become covered with sediment.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.