Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Phone Company damaged my Septic Tank
Author: nicholas123 (FL)

A few weeks ago my showers started draining slowly and my toilet wouldn't flush. I opened the cleanout outside the house and it was full, so I snaked toward the septic tank. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an obstruction, but the water would still not drain. I went on vacation for two weeks and now the septic system seems to be draining ok, but I don't put tissue in the toilet.

Did a lot of research and found out that I probably need to have my septic tank pumped and there is a chance that my drain field is plugged. By the way, my neighbor had his tank pumped for the first time in 23 years, same time period as me, and the pumper told him the tank really did not need to be pumped, but did so anyway as a precaution. In South Florida, the ground is limestone and drains very fast. However, I read the biomat layer (the bugs that eat your poop) that surrounds your drain pipes will eventually grow thick enough to stop drainage so all drainfields will eventually plug and need to be replaced.

So, I knew I had to deal with this sewer issue when I got back from vacation. To my horrorcry, I found out the septic tank was under 4 inches of concrete. I finally got all the concrete removed, cleaned around the tank to find the inlet inspection lid. I noticed a big groove on the tank top and a chuck missing. The phone company must have done this many years ago while trenching for the phone line. Notice how the cable (looks like a phone line, but not sure) lines up with the phone box on the wall by the shovel. The trench extends into the yard with this line in it.

So, I am not sure what to do. Should I complain to AT&T and have them repair it? Should I find the missing chuck in my concrete pile and mortar it back in place? I haven't called the pumper yet, but I am concerned that he may be legally required to report the condition of my tank and then I have to pay him just to mortar the piece back or maybe be required to buy a whole new tank top.

I am starting to think I should make a big deal of this and have AT&T pay for a whole new tank top. Reason being is that this tank is under the clothes line and we walk over it all the time. Heaven forbid if it collapses someday.

Any advice? I am aware of the dangers of methane gas and have taken all necessary precautions. I have more questions, but I'll put them in a separate post.

[i93.photobucket.com]
[i93.photobucket.com]
[i93.photobucket.com]

Re: Phone Company damaged my Septic Tank

I took a closer look at the damage by cleaning it up with a wire brush. Just what I was concerned about...there are cracks in the tank top so basically the inspection lid is only being supported by three of the four sides.

[i93.photobucket.com]
[i93.photobucket.com]

I couldn't find any cracks in the bottom of the trench/groove, but the tank top is definitely weaker now along that groove. The corner of the tank top could crack along that groove eventually.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You could try, but I doubt that anyone would take responsibility, especially for something that happened so long ago. It is quite possible that they used outside contractors at the time which are no longer even in business as well.

I think I will fix the tank first, contact AT&T later. I agree, they will probably say no.

Repair or Replace tank top?

Do you think the tank top can be repaired to its original strength...or at least be safe to walk on again?

Maybe the damaged part of the top, that contains the inlet inspection lid, can be cut squarely off and replaced with a 'slab lid'.

Replacing the whole top would be a big job. Not easy access for the boom truck. Need to take down fence, trees, and maybe a chicken coop. Got to keep heavy truck off drainfield too. confused smiley

Author: bernabeu (SC)

and do NOT pour a concrete slab over the tank

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

why not use some bricks to make an extension for the cover to sit on ? nice little square pattern with the inside lined up with the cover opening. that would raise the cover 2 1/2 inches. then pour 2 1/2 inch slab all around to strengthen the top. cover with dirt and celebrate the marlins sweep of the pathetic red sox.

My concern was saturated soil falling into the tank and creating a void above; it has been untouched for some time and hasn't posed any concern until you found it.

Pumper coming over Monday morning. We can discuss project then. Given labor costs in South Florida, probably better to just replace rather than repair tank top.

The thinner portions of the slab broke up easily with a sledge. Fortunately, there was no rebar or wire mesh, but the 4" plus thick concrete was a bear to break up.

Ok, I figure I'll ask my other questions...

1. I noticed the tank top was grouted to the bottom, but the grout was so thin it just fell apart when I was poking around. A mud dobber wasp could have built a stronger joint. I don't know if the pumper will fill in these 1/4" cracks, but I will with new mortar. I guess I'll wire brush it, spray it with water and then pack in some mortar.

2. For some reason the mortar around the inlet pipe/tank penetration was not hard, but was soft like a heavy clay. Maybe it is mastic. I noticed a gray slime (the biomat from what I read) and some black looking dirt around this penetration. Later I noticed a small puddle of water (probably effluent) in this area. Apparently, there is a leak. Is it critical that this be fixed? If so, it probably should be done after the pump out. Probably need to let tank dry for (a day or more?)...and then apply mastic or mortar I imagine...maybe even get in the tank to patch from inside.

Edited 2 times.

the same fluid leaking is what is going into the lateral field, so unless it is causing a stability problem for the surrounding earth, I wouldn't mess with it. If you have to replace the drain field in the future, I would worry about replacement at that point.

Author: jblanche (WI)

I am starting to think I should make a big deal of this and have AT&T pay for a whole new tank top.

Won't hurt to try, but set your expectations low. Standard terms would require that all utilities be marked before they do their work. They are responsible for contacting other public utilities such as natural gas company, electric company, water company, cable TV provider.

You could also contact your state public utilities commission or other local regulators to see if you have any recourse.

However the property owner is responsible for marking all private utilities. Since this work was presumably done under previous ownership, you would have to find that previous owner and ask them to pay for the repairs.

You could also try filing an insurance claim with any carriers you may have, or past carriers that have covered previous owners, but I'd be surprised if that led to anything other than an additional entry in the CLUE database.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I called a few pumpout companies (pumpers?), and none would give me references. I decided to use the company my neighbor used because he seemed satisfied, but after I set an appointment, I noticed they had terrible reviews online, even an F rating with BBB. So, I called back to cancel today's pumpout.

Interesting fact, my neighbor from Cuba told me he continues to not place tissue in the toilet because in Cuba (and in Mexico) toilet paper is sometimes not available so magazines, newspapers, etc. are used and they can plug up the pipes. So, he hasn't put tissue in the toilet for 24 years, and his septic tank didn't really need pumping according to his pumper. Mine on the other hand seems full.

The discharge line on my tank is corrugated black plastic...looks flimsy. I was expecting to see white sch. 40 PVC like the inlet. In fact, I noticed a finger-size hole/crack on the bottom (6 o'clock) of the discharge pipe about 6 inches away from the tank. A steady stream of effluent was exiting this hole/crack and creating a puddle. I doubt it's by design because I read the holes are suppose to be at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock, not at the very bottom.

I also noticed finger-size holes in the seal between this corrugated outlet pipe and the tank. Holes this large may let too much ground water into and too much effluent out of the tank.

[i93.photobucket.com]
[i93.photobucket.com]
[i93.photobucket.com]

I read the septic tank is suppose to be watertight to prevent ground water from entering the tank and hydraulically overloading the tank. They also said a leaky septic tank will contaminate the nearby soil. I don't quite understand that last part since the effluent is going to the ground anyway.

Well, I got a claim number from AT&T. I'll send them some pictures, but I don't expect much.

Author: paulinapanama (NY)

Deleted..

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.