Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Testing a section of copper under pressure
Author: Shecky (OH)

I've been working on my first small job and attempting to get the hang of soldering. To make life easier I was doing most of the joints ahead of time on a bench with a vice.

I was wondering if there was a good way to test joints? I am happy with how some of the joints look... I have a few questionable ones (ie: one where the solder is not "visible", one where there is more surface solder that doesn't look like it took). They could just be sloppy, but I also feel like there is a less than zero chance that they may leak.

I was debating getting a sharkbite connector to "test" my joints. Using the sharkbite to temporarily hook them up to a water supply. Any thoughts on better methods?

Thanks!

Re: Testing a section of copper under pressure
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, use sharkbite caps and a test gauge, pressurize the piping to 100 PSI with air and let it sit an hour or so and check the pressure.

Author: m & m (MD)

"...one where the solder is not "visible"..."

A properly soldered joint will show 360* of solder the full circumference of the fitting, even if it is barely visible. If there is no visible solder, reheat the joint, flux it, and apply solder to that area making sure it pulls in.

"A properly soldered joint will show 360* of solder the full circumference of the fitting, even if it is barely visible. If there is no visible solder, reheat the joint, flux it, and apply solder to that area making sure it pulls in."

Just clarifying: I thought reheating joints would do more harm than good... or do you mean reheat and start over pulling the joint apart first?

Edited 1 times.

"Yes, use sharkbite caps and a test gauge, pressurize the piping to 100 PSI with air and let it sit an hour or so and check the pressure."

I didn't think to use air. I suppose that's cleaner in a way (keeps the pipes dry), but would require rigging up a test system so that air can be inserted.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You can reheat as many times as you like, the problem comes with overheating. Generally a line that is holding water, or water dripping through is more likely to be overheated as the water cools the pipe, it cools, so you put the torch on it for too long because you get annoyed.. If the pipe is still dry, I would do as M & M suggests and reheat, hit it with flux, and attempt to put solder in the joint. If it still won't take, take it apart and clean it with a wire brush or emery cloth and a dry clean rag, then flux again and resolder.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I test with air since a leaky joint doesn't get contaminated like it would with water. If the joint leaks air when tested with soapy water in a spray bottle then I can just apply flux, reheat the joint and flow more solder without having to take the joint apart. Most of the time a careful visual inspection of soldered joint is all that is required without a pressure test. You soon learn to spot less than adequate solder flow and immediately reheat the joint before ever turning the water back on.

5/8 in heater hose from a auto parts store fits snugly on to 1/2 in copper pipe.

I sometimes test small assemblies with a bicycle tire pump if my air compressor isn't around.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.