Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing bidet on NYC prewar "flushomatic"
Author: queenslvr819 (NY)

Hello all,
Hoping my question isn't too complicated as I do not know all of the correct terminology im sure, but here it goes.

I recently moved into a prewar building in queens, which I believe has the "flushomatic" style toilet. It looks like this:

Coming out of the backside of the toilet is a solid steel pipe, which Im guessing houses all of the internals.

I purchased a bidet online, and it comes with a little metal tube which is supposed to connect to a T adapter to your water tank supply hose.

My question is on my toilet, I don't see a small hose that I can disconnect, just a giant steel tube. Is there any workaround to install this? If more pictures are needed I can try to take some later.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Installing bidet on NYC prewar "flushomatic"
Author: packy (MA)

not sure what you mean by purchased a "bidet" online. if you mean one of those toilet seat replacements that doubles as a bidet, you can connect to the water pipe under the sink. may need to extend the hose but that should be simple.

Yes its a simple adapter that sits under the toilet seat. I think you answered my next question which was going to be if it would be an issue attaching it to the sink line instead.

Looks like this unit

Except on my toilet I have nothing for that metal tube in the back to attach to.

post a picture of the water supplies under the sink. i or someone can give you a list of which fittings you will have to get to adapt to under sink water piping as opposed to under toilet water piping.
the tee you have will not work under the sink. depending on what's uner the sink it might be a little comlicated or alot complicated. don't worry. we'll get you there...
also, how does that stainless hose attach on the seat end..

Thank you very much smile

Thank you very much. I will post a picture tonight of everything once I am home from work. One end of the steel pipe connect to the bidet spray under the seat, and the other end attaches via a T connector to the water supply line.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

return it if possible

not code compliant w/o an installed visible accessible vacuum breaker on its' water supply

yep, they did in fact sell you something which can NOT be used legally in most jurisdictions

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Every one that I have seen requires an electrical receptacle as well and it must be GFCI protected.

This is a non electric bidet. It just runs off the water from flushing the toilet. There are much more expensive models which require an outlet, but this is a just a cheap non electric one. I called the company and explained my issue and they will send me the parts needed to hook it up to the sink.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it will still NOT be code compliant

regardless of the junk they send you

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

why do you assume it is junk?
if the spritzer in the seat is above the rim of the toilet bowl the device is code compliant.

Here are the photos.
First the toilet, second the inside of the cabinet right to the right of the toilet.

Author: m & m (MD)

In the end, you'll have a cold water feed to a bidet. Maybe ok in summertime temps, but come winter, won't that be a little like "Who goosed the moose?"

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

I have no idea how the mechanism in this thing works but if it's designed to operate on a pressure drop when the toilet flushes, will you have to turn on the sink to make it work?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.