Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 lights in house flickering
Author: cvcman (NY)

I know this isn't a plumbing issue....my house lights at different times of day flicker...sometimes enough to clear the microwave clock...any good idea of how to track it down?? it's not just one circut either...I put a new electric water heater in a few months back but it's on a third leg off the meter so it isn't even calling for juice during the day...I was going to check the lugs in the panel and meter box..and move the entrance cable to the road while my wife watches the lights...any other ideas??

Re: lights in house flickering
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I suspect a corroded connection at the meter hub.

Author: packy (MA)

my brother had the same issue. it turned out to be the connections from the street were corroded at the point they are spliced to the meter drop.

Is the entrance cable connections the power company's responsibiliy?? I'll have me wife watch the lights while I move the triplex...if they don't flicken then??

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Do your neighbors have the same issue? If so, its your energy providers issue.
Best Wishes

well good idea,,,both the neighbor across the street and the one next door...didn't notice the lights...they may have led's ???But BOTH have had to reset the microwave clock multiple times...I called NYSEG they are sending someone out...all three of us are on the same transformer...as well as 4 others...I checked with one other about 200ft down the street but he said they haven't had any problem

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I had the problem that NC Plumber described. Half the power in the house wound up going out.

Well power co came...retightened all crimps...but...I opened my panel and my main breaker was sparking...it was all burned on the top...I chgd it...checked everything else...meter hub contacts all looked great..all tight...now I don't see how this would cause issues for the neighbors???

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you and your neighbors all had your homes built at the same time with the same brand of electrical service, I could see multiple people having similar problems. This may be unrelated, but I had a commercial water heater with a 27 fuse block that was blowing fuses almost daily. In the end, we replaced the electrical control for the heater and all 9 elements and flushed the tank clean. The next day it had already blown 3 more fuses, so we replaced the fuse block as well. As it turns out, over time, the heat in the panel had weakened the springs that held the fuses, caused arcing and more heat, and the fuses started popping in a chain reaction as one went down, the others got overheated and followed suit. Time and heat may have damaged your panel or breaker the same way.

You may want to replace your main breaker and see if your problem is fixed. With electrical being grounded to the plumbing, the current dumping into the water lines may be affecting the neighbors. After you replace either your main, or entire panel, check with your neighbors and see if their problems have resolved.

Is your panel over-loaded? Is the new main hot to the touch?

nope new main is cool...neighbors houses are newer and bigger service 200amps...and Cutler Hammer not Murray....I did have our hardwood floors redone and the guy removed the panel cover and tapped is 220 drum sander onto the lugs...when he finished over an hour later he said "man that main is hot"....

it was only the one leg that was burned....I still doubt it was affecting the neighbors

well I take that back...the new main is warm...on the top breaker...if you take the panel cover off and put your hand on the top of the breaker all the way toward the back where it connects to the bus bar its HOT !
Its a Murray panel so not top of the line at all...

better replace the panel ???

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Quote: better replace the panel ???

Yep. You observed arcing at your main breaker, and replaced the breaker. Problem is, your panel bus bars are probably shot from arcing. The surface area of the buss connectors that the the main breaker snaps onto are probably pitted, and oxidized. They cannot carry rated load anymore, the New breaker contacts will eventually fail.

The best time to call a licensed electrician is before the the fire trucks arrive.

yea...weird this morning with the same stuff on its just barley warm ??

Author: packy (MA)

at very least, pull the breaker and apply some antioxidizing compound.

I'd get an electrician in to check it out. Don't tempt fate, you got your warning. Is it 100 amp, or 60?

purchased new Square D box...this Murrary is a pc of crap....changing it tomorrow morning...I think the guy that did my hardwood floors a couple years ago heated u the main...it burned the busbar so its not making a good connection now....

Just seems weird its only that one leg...the other looks new...the Square D looks like a much better box

its 100 amp

new Square D panel is in ...all seems fine !

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.