Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help repair leaky bathroom faucet
Author: jbl2015 (TX)

Hello everyone, I am trying to repair a leaky bathroom faucet and I think I will have to replace the cartridge. I have taken off the faucet handle. But am having difficulty removing the old cartridge. Actually, in the photos below, I don't know how to begin. I have tried pulling it out but nothing. I've tried twisting it to see if it will pop up and it doesn't. It just keeps turning. I sprayed WD-40 inside and around the base of the faucet. I thought there would be a screw that you can take off and remove and then take out the cartridge but haven't seen that. I only use the cold water faucet but can't leave that on because there's a constant drip both from the faucet and underneath the sink.
I would really appreciate any advice or assistance. Thank you for your help!

Re: Help repair leaky bathroom faucet
Author: steve (CA)

The round white ring with the 2 notches unscrews(the purpose of the notches is for a tool to engage for turning) and the cartridge should then pull out.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

If you don't have the tool to do it a pair of needle nose priers will work in a pinch.

Thank you for your responses. thumbs

In the first photo, the white piece inside should come out? I have some needle nose pliers so will try those. I have tried pulling that out but it feels like it's stuck. Am afraid to pull any harder.
Thank you for your responses.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

The white part un-screws. Lefty loosey. Use the tips of the needle nose pliers to fit into the notches on the white ring, and twist the pliers to rotate it. It does not pull out.

Author: hj (AZ)

The mechanism looks like a Moen valve. They have a special tool to unscrew the retainer, although this one is close enough that needle nose piers will work. Once it is removed the cartridge pulls out, although sometimes it is stuck and has to be pried up.

Author: srloren (CA)

I have a Delta Wide spread that looks like your photo. They will send you replacement parts if you are the original owner I have found.

I must be doing something wrong or the piece is really stuck in there. I keep turning and turning and nothing. The piece is still in there. I have sprayed WD-40 and it turns but has not come out. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

That piece has very fine threads so it will take many turns to unscrew it.

Thank you all for your replies!

I was able to get out the round white ring. But am having a hard time trying to get out the cartridge. I try to turn it and it doesn't. I tried to pull it out and it feels like it's stuck. In the photo, what looks like crusty stuff is probably the WD-40 I've sprayed in there. Is the cartridge supposed to turn and then pulled out? Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Author: steve (CA)

It should pull straight out. There has to be a locating notch/pin arrangement between the housing and the cartridge, so the cartridge doesn't turn when the handle is turned fully on or off.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.