Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 copper vs pvc pipe
Author: Chipper (IL)

The pipes in my hundred year old house are corroded. I am having them replaced. Any advantage of copper vs pvc? The quotes I have have the job costing about $1200 more for copper. I will be sealing the pipes behind drywall after it is done, so I want to be sure there will be no problems.

Thank you

Re: copper vs pvc pipe
Author: packy (MA)

do you mean 'pex' instead of 'pvc' ?

in my opinion pex is a top shelf job.

Author: srloren (CA)

Why would you install piping behind drywall that has a history of problems? Sure copper is more expensive but it is like comparing a Cadilac to a Hugo. Like the guy says, pay me now or pay me later. Besides didn't you see Moon Struck. The comment by the Plumber about Copper is right on and should be memorized by every Plumber out there that wants to keep clients happy.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Pay me now or pay me and the drywallers, painters, and anyone else involved twice.

Author: mr leak (CA)

soleren
\what are YOU saying

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

quote: in my opinion pex is a top shelf job.
Agreed... especially on re-pipe jobs. The material costs are lower, does not require as much labor, and pex is more forgiving in cold temps. Just make sure the whole system is pressure tested and inspected before the drywall guys arrive.

Also make sure that any water line that passes through a stud gets a nail strike plate installed or you may be ripping the drywall right back off.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Amen.

"Also make sure that any water line that passes through a stud gets a nail strike plate installed or you may be ripping the drywall right back off"....
that goes for copper as well.
did a repair a couple of weeks ago that the carpenter used 16 penny nails to nail down a plywood bathroom sub floor. the cold supply line was in the joists but it was at least 2 inches deep. YUP, he hit the pipe twice. what a mess.

srloren must work on nob hill.
since less and less plumbers solder copper anymore maybe someone can tell me why they would consider propress a "cadillac" and viega press a "yugo"..

Author: electricpooper (MA)

We have very acidic well water, and got tired of our copper pipes corroding and having pinholes. Also got tired of the copper color stain in the bathtub and toilets. (We still have the iron stains however)

So we went to pex, its easy to install.

We didn't replace all the fittings, and they turned green and fuzzy with corrosion within a year. So we replaced all of them on a Sunday afternoon. This one is an example.
[www.jcarter.net]

So we replaced the rest of the fittings, and here is what it looks like now.
[www.jcarter.net]

We are very happy with Pex, tho once in a while you get one that seeps at the fitting. So I am glad ours are all within sight.

Don't use fittings like that. Use manufacturer designed crimp/expansion connections, or Sharkbite fittings if necessary.

Author: srloren (CA)

Go to NetFlix and rent Moon Struck... it is a great movie and why use copper is covered by the Plumber.

Actually I have only did repairs for PEX. I am an old Fart and never installed PEX before. But Google it and you will see the problems that they have had. Years ago Dupont and an Oil Company, maybe Shell manufactured a system for plastic piping (I'll call it that) and had law suits in the millions because of the way the clamps to secure the piping to the fittings were made. They failed too often but the problem was the installer and probably the material, (aluminum instead of copper) not being trained to properly crimp the fittings. It still left a bad taste in many clients mouth. And as far as Shark Bites, I would not use them inside a wall. I don't believe they are legal. O-rings need to be replaced at times and you won't have access.

Edited 1 times.

Author: electricpooper (MA)

These were the fittings that were recommended by the supplier we got the pipe from.
Seems there are other and better ways, but we were in a rush, as we didn't have any water for a day.

There is one which seeps a little, and Im thinking that we might change it with another brand.
Glad our pipes are all in plain sight, and we are in the cellar many times a day, with laundry and our pantries are there.

Thank you for the advice, this is the most wonderful site, Ive learned so much here!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.