Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water meter
Author: cleanqueen (PA)

My water meter is down in a pit 500 feet from my house down by the road. There is gravel down in it. It constantly has water in it. Just now the two valves broke, the water meter rusted apart and needed a new regulator on a 9 year old house. The plumber fixed it but the water company will have to put a new meter on. The plumber said I should put sand down there instead of the gravel. Any suggestions?

Re: Water meter
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd rather have gravel than sand. It might be best to divert any rain water or runoff around the meter.

Author: packy (MA)

the meter is not yours, it belongs to the town/city. they will put around it whatever they want.

My water company will not do anything. They had us pump it out so they could read it. Four years later they put an electronic reader on it. They know it is constantly under water but they do t do anything about it.

then it is their problem if something happens to the meter.

Author: hj (AZ)

If they are not worried about it, then you shouldn't be either.

I'm not so much worried about the meter because the water company replaced it at no charge just now but from there back to my house is my responsibility. The two valves and the regulator rusted apart and I just forked over $700+ total to have them replaced. The pit has already filled up with a foot of water. Funny but I just looked in my neighbor's pit and it was dry. He said the only time his fills with water is when we've had a lot of rain. The water company guy told me he sees this a lot but it's my problem.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

None of those should have rusted at all, water or no.

can't you move the PRV inside?
but, as said, none of that should have rusted. it should be all brass.

Author: hj (AZ)

If it is filling with water and you have had no rain, you may have a water leak in the supply line.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.