Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 American Standard top hat/diaphragm "washer"
Author: Bob Engelhardt (MA)

I have a bathroom from about 1960 with A-S shower controls. It's 2 valves plus a diverter with top-hat style washers.

The top hats are a different style than I can find to replace them. They have an internal disk backing the face and a narrow washer on the front and back of the rim. The rim has grooves to hold these washers.

The replacements that I have found fit, but don't have the disk or washers, or the grooves to hold them. Can I use the new style (I can put the old disks in the new top hats, but not the rim washers)? If not, where can I find the old style?

Another thought: is this a case of "Nu-seal" vs. "Aqua seal"?

Thanks,
Bob

Edited 1 times.

Re: American Standard top hat/diaphragm "washer"
Author: packy (MA)

bob, what you have are the old style american standard 'aquaseal' stems etc.
they do make a replacement stem that takes a regular washer and 'O' ring.
you have to be careful replacing the aquaseal type stem because if it diesn't go back together exacly right, it won't work
i would just go to a plumbing supply house and purchase the replacements. they work fine and are a lot less fussy to get right. they do come in a couple of different lengths so bring the old one with you.

Packy - Thank you thumbs
Author: Bob Engelhardt (MA)

Packy - Thank you. I'm sure that it was the original washer & I'm glad that there is such an easy fix for a 50 year old fixture. Bob

Edited 1 times.

when you install the new stem, install it in the open position and tighten the nut that secures it really well. then turn on the water and finally turn the new stem to the closed position. if you have those funny round shaped handles, both hot and cold close the same direction. clockwise.
rule of thumb.. lever handles oppose eachother while round handles turn the same way to open/close.

Author: hj (AZ)

Those compression stems are the ones that the Aqauseal stem replaced. They are NOT a "new version".

that's funny, i thought the egg came before the chicken..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Once upon a time there existed a creature which was not quite a chicken.

It produced a mutated egg.

Voila: a chicken.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Compression stems with a washer have been around since faucets were created, but Aquaseals are fairly new and were developed as a direct replacement for their compressions stems. But since they are interchnageable, you can use whichever one you desire. The Aquaseals, however, because the have a barrier between the top and bottom will NOT develop leaks from the handle area.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.