Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 backup water supply needed
Author: RoatanBill (Non-US)

We periodically lose all water pressure in the building. I purchased a 100 gallon non pressurized water storage tank with a float valve and a pressure pump with 3 gallon pressure tank. The only thing using water is a kitchen sink with a commercial faucet that uses very little water. Assume building pressure is 55 PSI (when available) and I set the pressure pump to 50 PSI. All piping is 3/4".
The float valve will keep my tank full when water is available. My question is - do I need to manually control what supplies the sink, or can I allow both the normal supply and the pressure tank to feed the sink simultaneously? If there's building pressure, it will fill the pressure tank to 55 PSI, so the pump won't start. However, when the sink starts to draw water and the pressure drops, I don't want the pump to start and become the prime supplier of water from the tank.

Re: backup water supply needed
Author: m & m (MD)

Your description of the system seems to indicate that because it is pressure induced, the secondary pump will only activate during a drop in pressure. Otherwise, it is always on standby when the building pressure is normal.

Author: 50seven (Non-US)

Yes you do need to manually control it. The other problem you will have is that when you lose pressure, your pressure pump will try to back pressurize the entire incoming water supply and mains.

There is a way to automatically rig it, but you'll need some additional hardware.

You need a pressure switch and a solenoid/ electric valve.

The pressure switch will be positioned on the mains so that when pressure drops below a set level, the electric valve will divert your building's pipes from being supplied by the incoming city water to your own internal pump and pressure tank. When the city water comes back on, the switch will divert back to being supplied by the mains.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You can do the same basic thing with a check valve installed on the main incoming line and a T where the line goes to the holding tank. check the line coming off the T and attach it to the output of the holding tank feeding the building if I understand the setup correctly. Specific requirements may vary, but while there is pressure, the pump won't operate, the holding tank will be full and inlet shut off with the float. Water will bypass around the holding tank via. the T in the line and supply the building. In the case of interrupted water supply, the incoming main will lose pressure and the pump will activate, but a check on the line from the T to the building distribution will prevent the water from cycling from the pump to the fill on the tank and maintain pressure until the building supply is restored and the holding tank refilled. Simple, automatic, and doesn't rely on solenoids to operate or additional pressure switches.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.