Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Main Shut off valve
Author: Jtjordan (WA)

This isn't my main water shut off valve is it? If so I can only get it to turn half way. Any tips on getting it unstuck? It's plastic worried it might break. Thank you.

Re: Main Shut off valve
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It is likely your main water valve. It's only suppose to turn 1/4 of a turn. If it won't turn that much I'd steady the pipe and try to turn the handle with a pair of channel lock pliers. Even though I consider CPVC inferior to most piping systems, those valves usually give no trouble.

Author: m & m (MD)

It probably is your main house valve. Unfortunately, it is a "kbi" ball valve and they have proven to be trash. You may be successful with NCP's advice but don't over- torque it or you may have even more problems. Best advice is to replace it.

Well that sucks. Thank you both for the responses.

Would you say this is something not too difficult to replace it should I hire a plumber? Damn thing will just not turn. I have only done small plumbing fixes before and I can't really find anything online on how to replace this valve. Thanks again.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The problem with replacing it is that you have to remove pipe and still have enough left to attach to afterward. Depending on the amount of pipe between the elbows and the drywall, it may be an extremely quick fix. If there isn't enough pipe, they will have to connect to something behind the wall.

Author: m & m (MD)

There's enough pipe between the two elbows to slip in a new valve.

Author: hj (AZ)

But not enough pipe movement to do it.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; I can't really find anything online on how to replace this valve.

You cut the valve out, then glue a new one in along with a pipe of pipe and a coupling, but actually doing it will be more difficult because it does not appear that the pipes out of the wall will "separate" enough to slide the new parts in. But, you won't know if they will until you cut it apart.

Thanks all. smiling smiley

Thanks all.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks all. smiling smiley
Author: ravi102769 (VA)

It sounds like it is working, if you can turn the handle so that it is horizontal to the pipe it is in the off position. When it is vertical (inline with the pipe) it is on. It is only a quarter turn valve.

Re: Thanks all. smiling smiley
Author: bernabeu (SC)

typical 1/4 turn ball valve

OFF when handle is at 90 degree angle to pipe {360/90=1/4 hence the name}

NOTICE THE HANDLE TRAVEL STOPS

valve is OPEN
turn clockwise 90 degrees to close

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.