Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 garbage disposer leaks
Author: sum (FL)

Have a puddle of water under the kitchen sink drain, turns out the disposer is leaking at the bottom. There is a round hole at the bottom of the Badger 5 disposer where the power cord exits and water is dripping slowly out of it when the faucet is on.

I assume if its leaking at the bottom then something has rusted through? Is it worthwhile to take it apart and look inside?

Debating between putting a new one in vs getting rid if it totally. Not a fan of a disposer as tenants tend to put junk down, but tenant pleaded for replacing it.

Re: garbage disposer leaks
Author: packy (MA)

that can't be repaired. replace or remove it. badger 5 is a low priced machine..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no can repair

remove ASAP or disable electric

?replace? is between you and your tenant

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I call them disposable disposals. 5 years or so is about the average life span in my area.

If I remove it I need to get a new drain strainer right?

can't see high enough but if there is a dishwasher you will also need a 'dishwasher tailpiece'.

There is a dishwasher connection packy. Right now the trap looks like its sch40 I wonder if I should pipe sch40 like it is now or glue a trap adapter on the PVC and switch to tubular.

for tenants you want to make the set-up as bullet proof as possible.
cut off the old trap leaving a stub sticking out of the elbow so it can be re-used.
glue on a cleanout tee, a short piece of 1 1/2 pipe and re-use the trap. it will swivel at the union to line up with the sink drain location.

or just replace the disposal with another cheapo

done

What would cause such a leak?

I know its a cheap disposer, but is it because the metal casing inside rusted out?

I am asking because I am wondering if this could be an indication that harsh chemicals or acid have been poured down the drain?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The actual components and materials of those components are very low end and 'cheap' compared to some of the higher end models. I don't know if it is just the seals, but I know the grinding chamber on cheap disposals often oxidizes and the holes in the side become enlarged, letting large chunks of food past, the hammers get stuck, etc. The higher end units with all stainless steel grinding components are much better. No rust or corrosion, they have more sound insulation, and some have auto-reverse so they don't jam and trip the reset (saving time and annoyance). I recommended the better models for those reasons to all my customers that needed replacement because my labor was always the same, even if I had to come back in a couple of years to install a new one again. The savings in buying the more expensive models shows because it can easily last 3 times as long as the cheapo models, saving on the overall input of $$ and labor.

DITTO

Unfortunately, as much as I like to get rid of the disposer, I couldn't. The lease agreement I use had a list of included appliances and the tenant would like a replacement. I am not going to make an argument out of a $100 item so I am going to replace it with a similar model, and when she moves out, I'll get rid of it then.

So my question now is if I get a new disposer similar model like a badger 500, can I just detach the disposer body and put in the new one using the old mounting assembly? Or do I need to completely take apart the sink flange and mounting ring etc...? It's not a big deal to do it but to me it's a temp thing then 3 months later I am getting rid of it. From looking at the Badger install instructions, all the Badgers, 1, 100, 5, 500 etc...have the same manual so these parts are interchangeable right?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

All ISE models use the same mounting, so you can keep the existing mount already on the sink unless it looks to have been leaking.

simple remove and replace w/o changing flange

don't forget to wire it BEFORE mounting it

for a rental - badger 5 with badger 5

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.