Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mystery air in pipes
Author: kelymi02 (MD)

I am SO THRILLED to have found this forum and am hoping someone can help. We've have three different plumbers out and the city water department numerous times and no one can identify our problem. All are stumped.

We are on city water and in the last few months have had air in our pipes. I'm told this is an issue that only occurs with wells, there is no issue with the line to our home, and we have replaced the pressure valve. When the water is turned on, big gusts of air come out with the water, with hot or cold water. When you flush a toilet it sounds like bowling balls are in the pipes. Water pressure is wishy-washy. There is an occassional sulfur smell to the water only in the basement utility sink. Faucets are suddenly leaking intermittently when faucets are off. None of these are consistent daily, but are definitely happening more frequently. It used to be that if we turned the water on in all sinks and let it run for a bit the issue would resolve for a day or so, but that isn't the case anymore.

No one else on our court is experiencing this issue.

A few things to note, that all could be total coincidences:
-Around the same time as the issue started, construction began in our neighborhood. The city tells me that where the work has been done is several yards from the main line and that can't be the cause of the problem. Our issue always seems worse on the days they are working especially on days where they are directly outfront of our house.
-We have a water filtration system in our home. We had someone out to service it around the same time this problem started. They replaced a part and the salt tank is at least half full presently. One plumber asked us to bypass it for a day to see if the problem persisted and it did continue even when the filtration system was bypassed.
-A hydrant was opened, but closed soon after.

We had the water pressure valve replaced and that did not solve it. I'm told it could possibly be a faulty valve so I'm exploring the option of a warranty replacement on it to rule that out too. My gut tells me that is not going to be the issue.

If anyone has experienced this that can be of help I would appreciate your advice tremendously!

Thanks!

Re: Mystery air in pipes
Author: steve (CA)

This can definitely be related to the construction. Last summer, a new large water pipe was installed, for fire sprinklers for the elementary school across the street from me. The fixtures in my bathrooms, closest to where the water enters my house, had the same problems you have(but only with cold). My water heater is at the opposite end of the house, so any air that was coming in with the water would rise up the cold fixture risers before getting to the heater. The new piping was connected to the street main a couple feet from my meter. It took about a month before my symptoms disappeared. I think the new piping wasn't bled of air for a while and the captive air would somehow bleed back into the street main and into my house. I had zero issues until the same day they installed the new pipe.

Thank you for your reply!! big grin
Author: kelymi02 (MD)

Thank you for your reply!! So your issue went away when the work ceased? The work they are doing around us involves digging up the street to put in fiber optics for cable I believe. A little further away they are doing some road work. I wonder if that would have the same effect as what you experienced.

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I think I would wait until a couple of weeks after the work is completed before you continue hunting this beast. Yes, the air should be out of the system, but it may not be much as Steve said.

Author: hj (AZ)

Air does NOT "leak" into pipes, and I doubt that you have an air compressor to force air in. The water softener is the most likely problem since it DOES "suck" air in when it regenerates.

Author: hj (AZ)

NOT if the water is not turned off and the pipes worked on.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.