Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Does rubber dishwasher hose need to be food grade?
Author: cessnat37

I have a 20 year old GE 530 dishwasher. Today, I replaced the steel braided connector and discharge hose as preventive maintenance since these are so old. If you click on the link below, the photo shows an unknown black 3/8 inch rubber hose on the left side of the dishwasher. I figured I'd replace this too.

But the only replacement I can find is for fuel line, vapor, etc. Doesn't this hose need to be compatible with potable water and doesn't it need to be food grade too, since I'll be washing plates and eating utensils? I found a braided vinyl hose, But that won't fit in that U-shaped holder you see in the photo. Thanks.

[i434.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Does rubber dishwasher hose need to be food grade?
Author: packy (MA)

it is an open ended hose with no pressure to it. if it isn't frayed or cracked i wouldn't change it.
anyway if you want one you may have to get it from an appliance repair store or from GE. gonna cost plenty..

Author: m & m (MD)

I've never seen one go bad. It's non-pressurized so I'd leave it alone.

Yeah................after 20 years it's in very good condition. I'm surprised. What is this hose for anyway?
If I ever need to replace it, I was correct in assuming I can't just go to Home Depot or auto parts store and have them cut me a 2 ft. length?

Author: steve (CA)

It's the fill hose. The stainless steel flex supply line attaches to the inlet solenoid and when the solenoid opens, the water flows through it and then through that black hose to fill the bottom of the tub.

Ok. This is good to know.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

OP;

YES - get OEM part if in doubt

line is not under pressure (except slight back pressure when actually filling the tub)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I found out this black rubber fill hose in my photo has significant water pressure in it. I tested the dishwasher tonight and water was spurting out around the top fitting with considerable force. Apparently when I pulled off the hose after all these years, it stretched out the diameter. I put a little clamp on it and it stopped the leak. But I don't know where this idea comes from that it is a non-pressure or low pressure hose. It most certainly is not.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

It is under the back-pressure caused by the restricted 'spigot' in the fill 'chamber' ONLY when machine is actually filling.

Since it is open to atmosphere ALWAYS at the discharge end we consider it an 'unpressurized' line.

Similar to a garden hose with a constantly open nozzle.

Do not confuse velocity with pressure.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Well, I am relieved it only has water back pressure or water velocity when it is filling.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.