Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing external Thermostatic mixing valve using offset couplings
Author: Nolan-TN (GA)

I ordered a Thermostatic mixing valve. This design has the valve itself outside the wall. its suppose to be roughed-in with 90deg drop ear elbows. Then you are supposed to use supplied (what I am calling) offset couplings (1/2 NPT male into the elbow to 3/4 male to the valve inlets). The valve has female connectors with rubber seals like a garden hose. I cannot figure out how far apart to mount the elbows to allow alignment of the mixing valve inlets for hot and cold while keeping it level. I hope I explained it sufficiently. Any help is appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Installing external Thermostatic mixing valve using offset couplings
Author: packy (MA)

no rough-in drawings or book?
i would assemble the valve on the workbench and take careful center to center measures.

Thanks for your reply big grin

Thanks for your reply. There are very basic instructions that only show what is connected to what but not what dimensions to start with or how to align everything. I am planning to do as you said and assemble everything and then I could see where to mount the elbows but one thing that baffles me is that the elbows could end up at any angle and not pointing toward the water supply lines. I am thinking about just stubbing out with straight pipe then I only have to worry about initial alignment and depth of elbow support blocking. With all that said it seems there must be a good reason for using the offset couplings to stub out from the 90 deg drop ear elbows.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The offset are designed so you can level the valve by "tweaking" them.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Give us the manufacturer and model. It's easier if we can look at it.

Here is the link to the website. It is from Sanicare and is model 402

[www.sanicare.com]

I have an additional question. Would it make any difference if I mount it vertical?

Thanks for your help

Author: packy (MA)

we all go thru the same very, very careful installation of drop ear elbows when installing multiple body sprays.
they all have to be plumb, level and recessed in the wall the same distance.

Because that valve has ZERO tolerance for mismeasurements, the offsets give you SOME latitude because you can "rotate" them to allow for slight mistakes in width and levelness. Vertical is okay, but you still need to be as close to the proper width and levelness to be within the parameters of the offsets. Offset connectors are a common feature of ALL wall mount faucets.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I didn't see the picture. I didn't realize they were asking about a mixing faucet for a bidet.

Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

purchase a metric rule or tape

I would aim for 150 C-C and leave them up and in at 45 degrees smiling smiley

1" = 25.4mm

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

150 mm is the IDEAL, but 130-170 will work, especially if they are at the same level.The more uneven they are the closer they have to be towards each other.

Surface wall mount faucets do NOT use an "enclosure box".

Author: steve (CA)

G ½" threads on the wall side of the offsets. I wonder if OP has drop ells that will seal with the G threads?

that's why they make Permatex #1

just kidding

Thanks for all the info guys. smile

Good observation Steve about the G threads. I saw the elbows in the instructions (not posted) and they looked like standard FPT elbows. I found an adapter online but I don't know if I have enough depth behind the wall for the elbow, adapter and offset coupling. Will search/research G thread elbows.

Thanks for all the info guys. If anyone knows how to deal with these G type threads I welcome additional input.

Edited 1 times.

"G" thread is NOT tapered and depends on an 'end washer' for the seal

pic for illustration only:

I would contact the manufacturer for further info

Thanks bernabeu (SC), I will try to find a source in the us to purchase them.

for CPVC ~ "Nibco" 90° Drop Ear Elbow with Washer Slip x FIPT – CPVC-CTS, 4707-3-5

good luck finding another

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.