Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement rough plumbing
Author: supashaun (CO)

So I moved our water softner to a new location and I added a second sink in my kid's bathroom. I'm getting some confidence in doing some plumbing. These 3 pipes are sticking out of my basement plywood floor. I know it's rough plumbing but I don't know what each of them do. I wanted to add a full bathroom in the basement but on the other opposite side of the basement which is about 45 feet from this location. Can someone tell me what these pipes are? Any advice on how I'd start the job would help. Thanks in advance.

Re: Basement rough plumbing
Author: steve (CA)

My guess is the 3" capped pipe is for a toilet, the pipe against the wall is for a sink and vent for the bathroom group and the right pipe is for a tub. What's the dimension from the center of the 3" and the wall with the sink drain? You should have 12"(standard dimension) from the center to the finished wall surface. Remove the cap from the tub pipe and see if there is a trap under the floor.

Author: m & m (MD)

Start by determining where the toilet is located and the associated adjacent walls. From there you've got to get into the original installers head and try to figure out what they were thinking. A tape measure is your best tool.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing that relocating that 3 inch drain to a location 45 feet away can not be done without breaking cement and excavating.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

moving plumbing of any type 45' is a job. Then add the fact that it's below concrete and then you might as well hire a professional plumber experienced in laying out cuts needed for concrete removal. Be prepared for noise, mess, dust and difficulty. HO should consider leaving the bathroom where it is. lol

Author: hj (AZ)

If you are going to move the bathroom 45 feet, you might as well forget about what you have there, because it would be useless. A plumber would probably find a more suitable location to start from.

Thanks gentlemen for the replies big grin

Thanks gentlemen for the replies. I should have gave this information during my original post. In certain parts of CO we have soil problems. I live in one of those areas. The floors are wood instead of cement. Underneath that plywood you see is another 2 feet or of open space. Below that wood has another floor 2' below that. Sorry, I don't know the technical name for that design.

Steve, that 3" cap's center is roughly 14" from the wall. That cap is glued on. I may get to cutting it this weekend.
The screws used to put them in are different from anything I have. I plan on getting that tool today and start pulling up some of that plywood to see what's underneath.

Thanks again for your help. I'll get some of that plywood up today and try to get into the installers head like m&m mentioned. As far as I know I won't have a problem moving the plumbing anywhere in the basement due to having a wood floor. My biggest concern was a vent pipe.

This pipe is not sticking out of the floor but is level with the wood. It's 30' from the other 3 rough in pipes. Anyone know what this could be?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hi (TX)

could very well be a sewer clean out opening for your basement bathroom group.

I appreciate y'all trying to help me out. I was able to get some pictures below the plywood flooring from vents. I'm hoping this is a little more detail info for those trying to help me out.

These first three pictures is what is under the fourth picture. As you can tell that pvc pipe keeps going. The first picture shows it going into the ground/away from the home into that black pipe.

Thanks again!

The three pvc pipes sticking out of the ground for the rough plumbing. Pictures were a little harder to get from under the plywood flooring.

The first three pictures is what's under the fourth picture. It connects to that pipe from my previous post and looks like it goes towards the other end of the basement where I actually want to put the bathroom into.

On the fourth picture the far right pipe looks like it's not connected to anything underneath like the other two pipes. That confuses me a little bit.

I'm ready to rip up some plywood and get this bad boy started. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Any thoughts or help? Thanks

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

As has been said, in order from left to right, toilet - sink- tub. The pipe to the far right is likely tied into the center pipe via tee, up in the insulation.

Ok, thanks for you help. Sounds like I'll be hiring a plumber to take care of this as it might be out of my league to move it 40' to the other side of the basement.

This is what is on the other side of the basement where I'd plan on putting the bathroom for the basement. This looks like it runs upstairs to the second level master bath. It also takes care of the kitchen sink and the laundry room necessities. Can I tie into this? The bathroom would be about 10' to the left of this.

Author: packy (MA)

if you have all that room under the floor on this side of the basement, you sure can tie into that pipe.
you will need a 2 inch plumbing vent for your new bath group. if allowed you can use studor vent/s.

Thanks for your help thumbs

That is good news to hear. If I can do that then I think I could figure it out. Could I tie it into an existing vent or would I need to create a new one? I didn't know what it was called but I think I have a studor vent in the basement but I think it's used for radon venting. Keyword think. First picture is what is above the plywood and the next two show what is beneath the plywood showing it going in the ground.

Thanks for your help

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If that is for radon, you have a serious problem. I would guess it is the upper end of some basement drainage tile for the foundation.

Re: Thanks gentlemen for the replies big grin
Author: hj (AZ)

They both look like "screwed in" cleanout plugs, but if so, they would NOT be what I would have used for a toilet opening.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.