Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 caulking
Author: plummet123 (VA)

I've been using a lot of a caulk lately up to two cases a week. I've been getting call backs due to cracking. Right now we use an acrylic latex. We average a tube a job roughly. I was talking to another contractor at a the Big Box and he seemed to think this was too much caulk. How much caulk do you normally go through? How do you help preserve it? Any recommendations on caulk that won't crack?

Re: caulking
Author: steve (CA)

What brand and model name is the caulk you're using?

Author: plummet123 (VA)

Burgundy says 850 sherwin

Author: steve (CA)

What are you caulking, that you're using that much of it? From Sherwin's website, it appears to be just a "painter's caulk" for small gaps, interior and exterior. When I want the ease of water clean up, I've been using
Dap Dynaflex 230. It skins over fast and seems to be pretty elastic when dry.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I like to use Polysealseal on general purpose jobs. It flexes well and cleans up with water. If I want excellent seal and flex, I use 100% silicone. It's the best for flex (tub surrounds, etc.) a little stinky and messier, but stays put. All caulk is best when kept stored and applied at room temperature. I've had cheap caulk in the van overwinter, and it will turn to liquid and goo. I use a big red electricians wire nut or painter's tape on the tip of the tube to store it. I use as much as I need, and loose a little bit during application and clean-up, but never had anybody tell me I buy too much of it. If they did, I would say "BOO!".

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Every job requires the correct tool, and if yours requires caulking, then so be it. I don't know what your job is, but I always use silicone caulking except for crown moulding. Silicone is harder to clean up, so you have to be precise, and confident in your work. If you are sloppy, or make a lot of hesitation start and stops, it makes a job look bad in a hurry.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm with fixitangel on this.. polyseamseal is the best latex caulk out there.
dap 3.0 is not water clean up but it too is excellent.

Author: hj (AZ)

You mask the edges, stike the caulk with a wet finger or stick, then remove the masking tape for a straight smooth edge.

Author: mr leak (CA)

I thought this was a plumbing forum
If painting cannot go wrong using Big Stretch calk

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.