Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water heater pay back
Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

I have recently had a few customers ask about the payback of installing a power vent instead of replacing their old heater with another standard vent heater. Without getting into all of the specifics of how much much gas costs and household usage, does anyone have a general idea on how long,if ever, it will take a power vent to justify its installation on a changeout? I'm basing it on about a $400-$500 installation cost difference.

I planned on contacting Bradford White or my rep, but thought I'd start here.

Thanks

Re: Water heater pay back
Author: KCRoto (MO)

It would depend on the usage and utilities cost. If you knew what the current operational expense was, and the difference in efficiency between the 2 units, you could get a % savings and estimate it. [www.energystar.gov] The Bradford White M4tw40tfbn is rated at 67% efficiency for heating water.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing there is not much savings at all. and, if over the life of the heater you have one or two service calls for something breaking in the power vent assembly, you will be losing money.

Author: hj (AZ)

One of the trade magazines had an article last week on the ROI of the new heaters, which would probably also apply to your question, and the concensus was that there would be NO PAYBACK during the life of the heater.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

How about one of the new tank type, modulating burner units, at 97% efficiency? I know it wasn't the question, but with a family of 5 saving $210 a year, you make up the difference in price in about 1/2 the warranty period. Through a licensing agreement Westinghouse is now selling a re-branded HTP Phoenix. HTP makes the tank, and they use every part HTP uses in the Phoenix.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.