Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water in shower starts off hot and goes cold in less than 30 seconds...
Author: rlopes (MA)

So we are having an issue with our shower where you turn the water on and at first it starts off hot but then it goes cold/lukewarm. The only way to get the hot water back is to completely turn off the water and then turn it back on again. Even when you turn it back on, its the same thing. Starts off hot and then goes cold again. We replaced the catridge and it still doesn't work. We still get hot water everywhere else in the house except for our shower. Not sure what else I can do at this point. Nothing has changed since this problem has started so not sure why all of a sudden we are having this issue. The only other thing that I can think of is that before this problem began, we had a problem where the water would come out of the tub faucet brown. Then that eventually stopped but now this is happening. Please help!!

Re: Water in shower starts off hot and goes cold in less than 30 seconds...
Author: hj (AZ)

We would need to know more about your system, because it could be a bad check valve, and/or pump, in a recirculation system.

Well we have forced hot water, is how our water gets heated (through the oil furnace). It has 1 knob to turn the water on.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Do you know the brand of faucet? If possible, please post a picture for identification.

It's a Mowen.

[www.homedepot.com]

I'm pretty sure it's this exact one.

Moen Banbury 1-Handle Tub and Shower Faucet

Edited 1 times.

Contact Moen and get a new cartridge and have your plumber install it correctly. Unless MA lets you do faucet repairs legally as a homeowner.

Catridge has been replaced twice by a plumber. That's not the problem.

after replacing the first one, he should have gotten "serious" and looked for the REAL problem.

Very true. So now we are trying to fix it on our own if it's a simple fix because as you know plumbers are very expensive.

The problem is that we would have to be there while it is happening to diagnose it.

Yea that is what I figured. I think it's one of those things that it could be anything and it needs to be looked at in person but I figured I would try it out here and get an idea of what it could be so that I could look at it.

Author: packy (MA)

when you turn on the shower and the water goes from hot to cold, leave it running cold and turn on a hot water faucet. what happens at the faucet.
i suspect the hot water producing coil inside the boiler has lost efficiency and can not keep up.
someone can check very easily by turning on the hot and feeling the outlet pipe at the boiler mixing valve.

The hot water in the faucet doesnt seem to be affected. We left the shower running cold and turned on the hot water in the bathroom faucet but there was still hot water coming out. It just wasn't as hot as usual so you may be correct actually.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I hate when that happens. You pay a licensed plumber to do a simple repair and they leave without testing their work.

Something sounds fishy. A licensed plumber was hired to replace the Moen Cartridge "TWICE" and left the job without testing the shower valve? Was it a handy man plumber or licensed plumber?

Best Wishes

In MA it better be a licensed plumber..

Thank you so much for your help! thumbs

You were correct! It is the boiler mixing valve! Just had my furnace guy at the house and he told my husband that its completely rusted and corroded! Easy fix thank god!! Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully this fixes the problem!

Edited 1 times.

Thanks everyone! smileys with beer

Also, beginning of March we had some annual maintenance done to the furnace and the technician had turnt down the temperature but never turnt it back on. haha but at least now after these two fixes it works! Thanks everyone!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.