Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 changing a anode rod
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

been a plumber for 15+ years now, in business for myself for 9.....never changed an anode rod

a customer asked me to change his next week when i replace his water softener....so i need to learn

on all brands its that separate bolt on top right----just take a socket wrench and pull it out and replace with a different element (i forget what the no odor one is?)

are they all the same (universal?)

dont laugh at me guys......i have just never run into the issue

Re: changing a anode rod
Author: hj (AZ)

separate "bolt" on top rear center. But some have it integral with one of the heater's connection nipples. It takes a bit more than a socket and breaker bar, because they are installed with impact wrenches and it either takes an impact tool or a long lever to remove them. In addition you may need to have someone steady the tank if you do not use a mechanical impact tool.

Edited 2 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Here is a good article that addresses they types of anode rods. [www.waterheaterrescue.com]

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

so if i wish to use a socket wrench and and cheater bar i still wont get it out?

Author: jblanche (WI)

I did mine three times. The first time I put an eyebolt in the adjacent studwall and attached my little cable hoist around the drain valve nipple or something else that was sticking out, to brace it while I turned the wrench and cheater.

Other people have said that using an impact wrench will work.

My last heater failed less than six months after I put the third anode rod in. If you want the old, barely-used anode rod, it's yours.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I forget the exact terminology, but the anode rod uses a 'specialty' thread which is still NPT - something to do with the interference depth of the threads.

It is TIGHT !

You will need a 1 and 1/16 " socket with a breaker bar and cheater

+

a SOLID hold-back (try wedging a 2x4 between the top tappings and a wall) smiling smiley

When installing the new rod I used some never-seez on the threads w/o any dope.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Yes, but even with a heater full of water, you might turn it instead of the anode unless someone holds back on the heater.

My "Replacement" for an anode rod is a 3/4" brass plug. The anode has a conventional 3/4" pipe thread.

yes, conventional NPT

but

there are 'grades' of NPT

such as:

APS (american petroleum society) specification NPT

not saying that is what every maker uses, but, the threads REALLY REALLY engage

same total make-up, deeper thread contact

Author: steve_g (CA)

In addition to the above, check to make sure you have room above the WH to get the new anode in. You can get segmented anode rods for tight spots.

try: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: kenplumb67 (RI)

I've changed water heater anode rods a handful of times in my 15-year career. In addition to the good advice already given, I would add the following:

- For the 1-1/16" socket, make sure it is 6-point, not 12-point (6-point will get a better grip and less likely to round off the anode rod's bolt head). I would also recommend a 1/2" drive socket as opposed to 3/8" drive.

- I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with the above-mentioned socket. Instead of a cheater bar/pipe, I just use a breaker bar, and, while keeping tension on it, I use a 4- or 5-lb. hand sledge and tap it with moderate force a few times until the threads break loose (this has the same affect as an impact wrench). As others have said, I would recommend having a helper or second person 'hold back' on the tank so it doesn't spin.

-Ken

Author: pipedream69 (SD)

You also need to know which type of anode rod to use. Most are magnesium, but if that causes hot water with an odor, then you would use aluminum. The anode protects your water heater tank from aggressive water by sacrificing itself. If you remove a 5 year old anode that is nearly fully intact yet, then you probably will never need to replace it. I've noticed in some municipalities that the installation of a water softener does in fact make hot water more aggressive and causing some anodes to be completely dissolved in 1-2 years.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.