Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumbing vent stack
Author: Sherry (FL)

We have 2 story house. One toilet and shower downstairs. Full bath and toilet and toilet and shower upstairs. Can't locate vent stack. There are 3 inline vents upstairs. One in each bathroom and one under kitchen sink. Toilets are gurgling when showers on. Pipes gurgling when toilets flushed, toilets draining slow, backing up, but not overflowing. Need help!
How often should inline vents be replaced? There is a capped PVC downstairs under porch, could that be stack vent? I have picture, but can't seem to figure out how to post. Septic was pumped when we bought the house and we had inspection down on entire house...but now can't locate vent stack, not sure if we have one. Previous owner built house and maybe cut corners? Will appreciate any info. Thanks.

Re: Plumbing vent stack
Author: steve (CA)

Any non-mechanical vent should protrude through the roof, so if you have one, or some, look at the roof. Gurgling would be more of a restricted drain or full septic. Is this condition new or since you bought the house?

Author: hj (AZ)

under certain conditions "air admittance valves" which be what you call "inline vents" will prevent drainag when there is a partial stoppage of the drain line. In any case, no matter how many AAVs you have there MUST be at least one vent through the roof, usually the furthest one from where the pipe enters the building.

This is new Steve. And AJ I'm not sure what you mean furtherest from where it enters the house? Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

try temporarily unscrewing one or more automatic vent/s. see what happens.

I will try that Packy. How often should those be replaced?

Author: packy (MA)

AAV's come in the cheap 5 dollar variety and better quality, more expensive models as well.

they are not allowed in my state (MA) so i can't really address their usefullness nor their longevity..

If the sewer enters the front of the house, the "vent stack" at the rear should be the one that exits the roof.

In most cases replacing them does not help the situation, because they are not designed to handle the problem. In fact, often, if they DID need replacement you would probably NOT have the poor drainage problem.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks AJ. I loosened the auto stack, didn't seem to do anything. I will go ahead Nd replace all three, just to be on the safe side. If I don't have a vent stack exiting the roof, what is the best way to get rid of the clog?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If removing them didn't change anything, you have at minimum a partial blockage of your main sewer line. Have the line cleaned and it should remedy your troubles.

The vent exiting the roof should have nothing to do with getting rid of the clog. It just helps create the drainage problem. You need to have a plumber snake the line, although if you have a septic system, that can create the problem even without a clog.

Thanks to you all for helping me... applause

Thanks to you all for helping me understand this issue better.

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.