Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water blowing out of the water heater when the commodes are flushed.
Author: agisoec2 (KY)

I have a strange problem with water blowing out of the water heater when the commodes are flushed.

Two story walkout with the water heater and furnace/AC in a downstairs closet next to the garage wall. Two baths upstairs. The two bathrooms are on a single vent; the kitchen on a different vent.

The AC condensation line and water heater TPR valve each share a plumbed line that leads to the main sewer line. The line from the water heater goes down to a cup-like fitting in case of leakage. It’s a catch cup open at the top.

Several week ago we began seeing water intermittently in the closet floor going into the garage but couldn’t find where it was coming from. Today we discovered that if we flush either commode upstairs, water streams from the TPR valve, fills the catch cup and line so fast that the cup overflows into the floor. The sinks and showers do not do this, just the commodes.

My first thought is to change the “Rube Goldberg” setup the air conditioning man put in for the AC and TPR valve to drain, and seal it tight instead of a catch cup, but the problem may be bigger than I thought.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Earl

Re: water blowing out of the water heater when the commodes are flushed.
Author: steve (CA)

Earl, do you know what the water pressure, in PSI, is at the house? I'm wondering if it's very high and just below the set pressure of the TP valve. When the toilet fill valve shuts off, maybe a spike in pressure opens the TP?

I don't know the pressure, but it's never been high. If anything, it's a bit low. I know that my wife has often said "boy, we don't have a lot of pressure". Were in a small rural county--kinda' small, but I will check the pressure.

Thanks for your idea.

Steve, I had my son flush one of the commodes and hold the flush handle down so the fill valve stayed open. Still got water so I'm still wondering. Thanks, Earl

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the 'catch cup' sounds like a funnel with air break for the TP and the AC condensate lines

the lines should end ABOVE the funnel (which would make an actual air gap), but many less than knowledgeable mechanics will insert the lines INTO the funnel

are you SURE the funnel ITSELF is not overflowing when you flush ?

that would indicate a partial stoppage in the main 'sewer' piping

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

I think you are misdiagnosing the problem. The "cup" is probably connected to the sewer system and when the toilet flushes SOMETHING, either air pressure or sewage backflow, is forcing water out of it, but NOT from the heater's T&P valve.

? did I not just say that ?

Posts must have crossed.

Re: water blowing out of the water heater solved

I think I’ve found the problem.

We flushed out the drain lines with high pressure from a hose nozzle, and could hear the water running through the line in the garage to the sewer line. Then I moved the line from the TPR valve out of the cup. We flushed the commode and got NO water from the TPV valve (you both were right), but a blow back from the cup. We disconnected the drain line from the sewer line in the garage and flushed the commode. Water ran for a moment and then blew out of the sewer lines.

Conclusion: there is a blockage (not completely) in the sewer line between the garage and the septic tank.

On my day off tomorrow, I will rent an electric auger and clean out that line and see what happens.

But I have a related question. How reliable is the TPR valve? If it fails, the cup and drain line cannot handle the load of water. Can I do some plumbing, get rid of the cup, and connect the drain line directly to the line from the TPR valve? Is this a good idea?

Thanks, Earl

Might be a second posting.

I think I’ve found the problem.

We flushed out the drain lines with high pressure from a hose nozzle, and could hear the water running through the line in the garage to the sewer line. Then I moved the line from the TPR valve out of the cup. We flushed the commode and got NO water from the TPV valve (you both were right), but a blow back from the cup. We disconnected the drain line from the sewer line in the garage and flushed the commode. Water ran for a moment and then blew out of the sewer lines.

Conclusion: there is a blockage (not completely) in the sewer line between the garage and the septic tank.

On my day off tomorrow, I will rent an electric auger and clean out that line and see what happens.

But I have a related question. How reliable is the TPR valve? If it fails, the cup and drain line cannot handle the load of water. Can I do some plumbing, get rid of the cup, and connect the drain line directly to the line from the TPR valve? Is this a good idea?

Thanks, Earl

Edited 1 times.

NO!!!!! It either has to go above the "cup" or to the outside of the building. It cannot be connected DIRECTLY to the plumbing system.

Thanks, HJ, that's a pretty emphatic "no". I really appreciate that, and I will back off of my idea. Thanks so much.

I could have made it a bit more emphatic, but I thought that was enough.

NO

Just a bold "NO"?

you already had it under control

smiling smiley

Appreciate the help from all of you. big grin

Everything is working fine now. It was a partial blockage in the sewer line between the garage and septic tank. Two runs with the electric auger, a hose in the line for 10 minutes, no more backup

Appreciate the help from all of you.

Earl

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.