Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub drain
Author: surveyor1951 (Non-US)

I just purchased a American Standard 1640.305.002 Deep Soak Bath Drain for a bathtub/shower.The specs say the tailpeice pipe is 1 1/2"OD. Last night I slipped this tailpeice into a 1 1/2" abs pipe & it was too small by maybe an 1/8" or less around the abs pipe so maybe it is 1 1/4". This tailpeice also screws into the overflow tube assembly.I also noticed there is a male thread on the outside of the overflow tube assembly where this tailpeice screws in. I have few questions.1) Is there an adaptor to fit this male thread on the tube assembly so I can connect it to the 1 1/2" abs pipe? Is this tailpeice necessary if I find an adaptor to fit on the male thread? What would be the right technical name to use for this adaptor if I go to the local hardware store. I have an option of using 1 1/2" or 2" abs pipe since I'm running a new line out to the existing pipe? Any help would be much apprieciated. Thanks

Re: Bathtub drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

1. Yes, an 1 1/2" ABS Female adapter. No need to use the 1 1/2" tubular tailpiece if you use a female adapter. You could use an 1 1/2" trap adapter glued onto your ABS pipe, and the tailpiece drops down into the trap adapter and is secured by a beveled washer and nut.

Author: packy (MA)

using the tailpiece makes it easier to install. you don't have to have a perfect measure as the tailpiece slides down inside a slip adapter.

Would a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" abs increaser(tailpeice to 1-1/2 abs pipe) work, then a 90 degree elbow (1-1/2 abs)with 3 feet of 1-1/2 abs pipe to the main sewer work

Author: packy (MA)

there is nothing about that tub drain that will work with 1 1/4 inch pipe.
you need a trap under the tub and that trap must be properly vented to prevent syphonage..

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Your tailpiece is 1 1/2. Measure its OD and you will find it is exactly 1 1/2. 1 1/2 ABS pipe ID is more than 1 1/2 in. Tailpiece is tubing and specified by OD, ABS pipe is pipe and specified by nominal ID. Actual ID is more than nominal ID for the smaller pipe sizes.

Author: hj (AZ)

Why are you asking about 1 1/4"? The tailpiece is 1 1/2" and the piping is either 1 1/2" or 2", so there is NO 1 1/4" anywhere.

I bought a threaded adaptor to screw on the drain so I can glue a small peice of 1-1/2" abs pipe to it & attach my p-trap with a clean out plug on the bottom of it. Another question: I have a run of less than 18" with my 1-1/2" abs pipe to the main 3" abs line. I have a 1-1/2" Tee to vent. Should I install this after the drain or just before the 3" line or does it matter.The higher end of the 3" abs pipe runs from a toilet. The toilet is a new install as well. The toilet is not vented, so I was thinking of venting the tub & toilet together from that 1-1/2" tee just before where the 1-1/2" ties into the 3" line. From the toilet to where the tub drain would tie into the 3" line would be less than 2'. Can I vent the toilet together with the tub or do I need to vent the toilet separately?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.