Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 bidet removal
Author: brandisophie (PA)

I recently purchased a house with a bidet in the second floor bathroom. I would like to remove it to replace with a larger vanity cabinet. Other than shutting the water off and removing the bidet, what is required. The pipes are somewhere in the walls going down to the basement.

Thanks.

Re: bidet removal
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you will require a building permit

and

an actual plumber

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

it is pretty simple to do. get us a photo of the back part of the bidet where the piping is and someone can give accurate dirrections.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; you will require a building permit

Yooou've got to be kidding, right? A building permit to cap off two water lines and a drain line? I suppose they also need an architect, lawayer, general conctracto, and a plumbing contractor. That just changed a minor revision into a building project.

in massachusetts it WOULD require paying the appropriate fee for a plumbing permit obtained by a licensed plumber. it would require a licensed plumber to remove the bidet and cap the pipes.
it would not require an architect nor a first baseman..

A building permit to cap off two water lines and a drain line?

YEP .. In order to ensure that dead ends (over 24" ?) are not left.

Improperly modified plumbing may, in fact, cause actual harm.

Remember: Code is the MINIMUM, not the RECOMMENDED.

quote; . In order to ensure that dead ends (over 24" ?) are not left.
And YOU REALLY think the removing plumber is going to tear out walls and/or floors to do that? You must also believe in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

An honest lawyer, an ethical financial advisor and Santa Clause were in an elevator. When the door opened there was a $100.00 bill in the lobby. Who picked it up"

A. Santa Claus because the other two are ficticious and do not exist.

The pipes are somewhere in the walls going down to the basement.

They do not require removal, merely capping at their source in the basement.

? What part of: Do the job properly is not comprehensible ?

bernabeu, if a bidet is removed from a second floor bathroom, how in the world does someone cap pipes in the basement?
a little reality check is in order.
as i said before, if i ran my small town business to your union inspired standards, i would be in the bread line..

not my 'union inspired standards' but actual code requirements

there shall NOT be dead ends

different codes define the length of a dead end

dead ends create stagnant water / stoppages

for example:

ICC 704.5 Dead ends.
In the installation or removal of any part of a drainage system dead ends shall be prohibited. (clean out extensions are permitted)

Edited 1 times.

What makes you thing the SECOND floor bidet has separte supply lines all the way to the basement, AND, most bidets have supplies from the wall connecting to the rest of the plumbing for THAT BATHROOM.

you are likely correct

but

the OP may not leave any dead ends (in NYC circa 1975 that would be 24"winking smiley

your post crossed with my edit

Not necessarily, because they might be like the lady selling apples for $30.00 apiece. When told she wouldn't sell many at that price, she replied, "I don't have to sell MANY, all I need to do is sell one". Or like the plumbing contractor in Phoenix who said, "I don't need repeat business, all I have to do is get into every home once>" These "get rich gurus drive me crazy with their "Unless you charge $275.oo morr per hour you are going to go broke". Bernabeau must have worked for one fo those compannies.

You are quoting the ICC, I thought you were referring to an actual plumbing code, NOT a "recommendation" which allows almost anything that contractors decide it is an easier to do something.

The OP has a fully functional bath-room.

He wishes to modify same.

Said modification may, or may not, be costly to accomplish PROPERLY.

The OP requires education as to the MINIMUM code compliant modification.

(NOT the DIYer 'never stop improving' way.)

If the bidet has short local fixture branches they may be capped locally.

If, as the OP stated, 'the piping comes from the basement' the piping must be disconnected in basement and capped there.

The following statement is still, if unpleasantly, true:
THE PLUMBER PROTECTS THE HEALTH OF THE NATION

We all know, or should know, the MINIMUM code - code prohibits dead ends.

Why are we debating what is a matter of actual law? Albeit with no 'teeth'.

DO'H

our posts crossed again

many states (Virginia for one) use the ICC as their 'source' code

I used the ICC as an EXAMPLE

NYC and NY state codes both prohibit dead ends

I believe the IBB (which SC and other states use) also prohibits, but am not positive

GOOD PRACTICE would prohibit dead ends

In any event the OP would require a building permit to remove a sanitary fixture in 99% of all jurisdictions.

Let the authority having jurisdiction decide the issue.

Edited 1 times.

quote; 'the piping comes from the basement' the piping must be disconnected in basement

By definition ALL PIPING COMES FROM THE BASEMENT, but he has no idea what ELSE is connected to it. If he knew things like that he would not be asking us things. OR do yo run separate lines from the basement to EVERY Second floor fixture?

potable water: maybe, as in PEX home-run systems

sanitary: probably not (possibly if a retro-fit)

the nit has now been picked to death

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.