Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 bubbles in toilet/trouble draining
Author: djkent (VA)

Plumbing luddite here, first-time condo owner with a problem that's developed in last 2 days. I live in a top floor unit and my bathroom shares walls (and I assume vents/outflow pipe) with two other units' bathrooms. Whenever I hear a neighbor running the shower, after a while big bubbles start coming up in my toilet bowl, from the sewer side (not the high pressure water input). Then the bowl level starts to fluctuate, going down to nearly empty and then partly refilling. This isn't my doing -- I'm not running any water or trying to flush. All my sinks and my bath drain fine during this time.

During these neighbors' showers and for about an hour after, my toilet doesn't drain when I flush or pour down a bucket of water. After a while though it starts to drain slowly on its own and after an hour or so I can pour down water to get a full, normal flush. (I've turned off the toilet's water intake for now.)

I ran a snake down the toilet (mine goes only 3 feet) and found nothing. I should also add that twice now during neighbors' showers I've had a little backflow come up my shower drain, <1 gal. I posted a note and asked around but nobody else in my building reports any problems.

1) What's going on and, 2) why isn't this affecting anyone else? I've alerted the condo management co but I'm not sure if this is everyone's problem or just mine.

Re: bubbles in toilet/trouble draining
Author: hj (AZ)

Lining on the top floor makes it more interesting, because you apparently have a blockage in the line AFTER the neighbor's connection, but before it gets to the lower floors. You need a plumber to snake that portion of the system, NOT the main lines under the lower levels. I hope you have an elevator to carry the plumber's equipment up there.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.