Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 worst plumbing ive seen
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

new home i looked at this week...builder chose the cheapest plumber he could find...they are the non union large company moving into the area and taking away all the new home construction work...

i was only able to see limited fully open places in the house since the basement is finished...but the code violations...w o w

they had the sanitary crock vent connecting with a dry vent from the 1st floor toilet...6" above the toilet run....not 38" on the 1st floor....this was in the basement...so when the toilet backs up it will fill the vent and run right down into the sanitary crock.....also used Tee's on their backs instead of Y's......short turns instead of some long turns....no backflow protection on a steam generator.....steam generator touching 2x4's and plywood when i know they are supposed to have a few inches of space between.........i went through the whole house and pointed out all the violations.....probably 8-10 that i could pick off i 10 minutes....work was straight and neat....just full of code violations....

the local inspector obviously knows nothing about the plumbing code.....i dont want to hurt the builder , so im not going to report the house to the inspector or state......

anything i can do against the plumber? other than spreading the word

he's cutting everyone out of the business....and i dont think he's using plumbers to do much of the work to save $$.....if no one reports him to the state and if no inspectors are good enough this will just keep going on

Re: worst plumbing ive seen
Author: ltgrzbrnz (NY)

When the house burns down in 5 years and people die, won't you feel a little guilty not reporting it to anyone? Some codes (not a fan of big government) are there for a reason. Would you let your children move in?

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.- Edmund Burke

Author: hj (AZ)

You have no "standing" so there is nothing YOU can do to the contractor. Spreading the word, will also be ineffective because the people who have to hear it will not.

Author: ltgrzbrnz (NY)

Ok, I have a better idea. This reminds of the "We fix $6 haircuts" joke/commercial. Send a letter to the builder, listing all the problems you can remember. (You aren't hurting anyone doing that.) Then close with ... "My company fixes $6 plumbing." You will at least get his next job.

Brian

Edited 1 times.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

if any of the violations can lead to harming the occupants then it is your duty as a plumber to report to the authority having jurisdiction.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You could report it to the local media and let them interview the local inspector, on site, without your personal involvement. This way you are not personally involved and you won't receive any credit either. Good Luck with your venture and Much Success

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; You will at least get his next job.

ONLY if he is cheaper than the builder's "plumber B". As long as he can get it inspected and covered up, why would he want to drop his "plumber A" and pay more?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.