Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 should i shut off my well pump when pipes freeze
Author: brantner76 (PA)

I have 2 questions actually. I have frozen lines that ive been thawing. Should i turn my well pump and water heater off until i have water again? I live in pa. And past 2 days its been minus temps. Ive was going at it today with torpedo heater and it still didnt start. Usually its one of two places that freeze. 1 is the little pipe coming off press. Switch or 2 right at groundbreak where well line comes up from underground. But i ran heaters all day and nothing?? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I thought for sure the torpedo heater wouldve got it.. it was like 90 degrees under ther for bout an hour??

Re: should i shut off my well pump when pipes freeze
Author: KCRoto (MO)

double check that the breaker for the well pump and make sure that it didn't trip when the lines froze.

Thank you smile

Yea i did check that earlier. It was still on .its late now i hate to do it but im gonna hang it up tonight. I turned breaker off and faucets on so pipes dont burst so i guess im gonna hang it up for tonight ill run the torpedo heater again tom maybe it will get it.i only ran it for about an hour today so maybe it was close.i did notice about halfway into thawing that the faucet spit a little water and air out so i might hav almost had it. Thank you for the reply

Edited 1 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Quote: "halfway into thawing that the faucet spit a little water and air out so i might hav almost had it." Yes sir. You were sooo close. The next thing could have been a drop, then a drip, and after 30 minutes or so, full flow again IF the ground temp was also rising. After sundown, forget it. I would shut off the well pump, leave the water heater on, and watch the weather forecast. Your best bet is when the sunshines, and air temps are above freezing, then try again. Your pipe froze below the frost line, and torpedo heaters are a very dangerous if non effective way to thaw out frozen ground a foot or more below grade.
Come springtime, on your to-do list plan on doing a little digging, using frostex heat tape, and insulation so you do not have a repeat preformance next winter.

Author: m & m (MD)

Remove the pressure switch cover and visually check to see that the switch contacts are closed.

Author: m & m (MD)

Remove the pressure switch cover and visually check to see that the switch contacts are closed. I don't think that you are frozen below grade.

Author: hj (AZ)

It might just have been expansion from heating the water, but if it starts dripping, even a drop every few minutes, leave the faucet open, because that is usually a sign that it is going to thaw as the water works its way through the ice. If the line to the pressure switch froze while the pump was off, it will not turn on until it thaws. If it was running when it happens, then it will not turn off, in which case you should open the breaker to prevent damage to the pump or system.

Yea i kind of figured i was close last night. Figures. Im headed out now to try it again.got faucets all on cupboards all open heat in house cranked. Trying not to take any chances today lol

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Once you have it going again, consider using some Heat Cord by Frost-Tex. You can wrap exposed pipes with single, double and triple wraps and use plenty of insulation where needed to keep those pipes warm enough and far from freezing.

Best Wishes

Thank you smile

Thank you

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thank you smile
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If your line is metallic, you can use a pipe thawing machine to energize the line and heat it as well, but best of luck to you with the heaters, I hope they get the job done.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.