Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Nipple length for shower arm
Author: sum (FL)

I have a solid brass shower arm made by a company called AQUABRASS, it has an integrated flange, meaning the base of the shower arm becomes gradually wider and turns into the flange.

I would like to install this so that it the base is flushed with the wall. I measured the distance from the finished wall to the front of the drop ear 90 behind the wall, and its 2.5". Then I measured how much the recessed 1/2" female connection is from the base of this shower arm, and its 1".

So that means I need a total of 3.5" between the two female connections.

However that doesn't include the actual threaded portion that needs to be inserted into the two female connections. Should I assume I will be able to thread 1/2" into the two female connections which means I will need a 4.5" nipple? If it is an odd length I can solder a short piece of copper pipe with two male adapters.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Nipple length for shower arm
Author: bernabeu (SC)

aaaaaah..................

you are trying to ascertain the E-E length required for a nipple

1/2" NPT = 1/2" total thread 'make up'

the drop ear elbow is a female NPT

apparently the one piece shower arm is a female NPT

get the Face to Face measurement and add a 'short' 1" as there is no pressure on a shower arm

welcome to actual plumbing

your description is a little vague re: thread starting point on arm, however 4.5" sounds correct - do NOT overtighten to get a flush makeup as you can EASILLY crack/split the drop ear ell

see: [free-ed.net]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 4 times.

Author: sum (FL)

The face of the female connection in the arm is 1" recessed into the base of the arm.

The thing is if I don't have a tight enough connection and it leaks behind the wall I can't "see" it as the flange covers everything, unlike a traditional flange or escutchoen you can pull back to shine a flash light into the hole.

Will it be able to thread a full half inch into either female connections?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

7/8" will work. A full inch might leave the flange off the wall a 1/16" or so.

Author: hj (AZ)

You CAN, but I would not.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

screw it on by 'feel' being careful not to over torque the brass drop ell

if it sticks out off the wall:

run the thread longer on one end of the nipple and hacksaw off the excess

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.