Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PEX/Wirsbow
Author: phodges (MN)

I have Wirsbow lines in my house and need to add a bathroom. Can i tap into them using another brand?

Thx

Re: PEX/Wirsbow
Author: packy (MA)

yes you can...

Author: KCRoto (MO)

you can, but you will have to transition between the two types. Wirsbo/uphonor is pex A and uses their expansion tool and rings, and all other brands are pex B and use some sort of compression ring. I assume they make adapters to change over, but if they don't, you could go to copper and back, or use a shark bite fitting to do the same thing. If you have a recirculation system, your hot water piping will need to be adjusted accordingly, and you will want to tap into an appropriately sized line to supply sufficient water to the new bathroom and not compromise the flow if all the bathrooms are in use at the same time.

that is not correct my friend from KC. as long as the piping conforms to SDR-9 then they are compatable. pex A-B-C are just different type of pex. they all will work with press rings or press sleeves squeezed over insert fittings made for that pipe.
[www.engineeringtoolbox.com]

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I won't do it. The inside diameter of uphonor is slightly larger with thinner walls, the outside is cts as you know. I don't trust that a barbed fitting designed for Pex-b will work properly over time. You may be correct, but I won't put it together that way, and wouldn't conceal the joint if I found one. I will error on the side of caution.

i have mixed and matched pex A,B and C with crimp fittings from all different manufacturers.
i have done countless jobs with thousands of joints. never a callback. EVER..
i'm not really sure when i started using pex but at least 9-10 years. (maybe more)
copy of article..
Wirsbro is a Manufacturers trade name however regardless of who manufactures the tubing it must conform to ASTM F-876

Under the ASTM standard F-876 the tubing wall thickness is to be determined by the SDR (Standard Dimension Ratio) standard and all tubing must conform to SDR-9.

Under the standard the number following the index SDR defines the physical ratio, which in this case is 9, thus to determine the actual wall thickness of the tubing you divide the outside diameter x 9.

As an example, a 1/2" SDR-9 tubing would have a 1/2" OD and the tubing wall would be equal to .5" / 9 = 0.055"

Therefore Wirsbro is SDR-9

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; a 1/2" SDR-9 tubing would have a 1/2" OD

A "half inch" tubing would have a 5/8" o.d. 1/2" o.d. would be 3/8" tubing using plumbing parameters and terminology.

Author: amrc0308 (MT)

Cant use certain Pfister bath valves with Wirsbow Expansion system. Not sure why, its in the mfg instructions.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.