Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Protecting new pipe run from freezing
Author: openhand (VT)

Hello to all, I'm building a bathroom and pulling water from the main house to a barn loft where there will be heated, insulated space in the new bathroom. The problem is I must run the supply thru an unheated attic (I'm in Vermont), where the temps are identical to outside. There will be around 15 ft of run that will be vulnerable and I'm wondering what the best strategy would be for keeping the pipe from freezing. I'm planning 3/4 pex, which will be split into hot and cold once it arrives to the bathroom area. So far, we've thought of creating a chase with 2" foil faced foam that goes thru the uninsulated space, but I still think it will need to be heated inside somehow. The run passes thru a utility room with a forced hot air furnace and I was considering tapping from the plenum with a very small duct (2"?) and feeding some hot air into the chase whenever the heat kicks on. The other idea is heat tape, but how permanent and reliable is heat tape? Another thought is to just open the end of the chase to the heated utility room and let the warm air move thru the chase without the pressure of tapping from the plenum One problem with this may be that the pipe runs downward away from the heated utility room thru the unheated attic space, so convection won't be on my side. . Any other ideas? What have others done that has worked? Thanks, CT

Re: Protecting new pipe run from freezing
Author: m & m (MD)

Is there no way to keep the pipe within the heated space from building entrance to bathroom?

Author: packy (MA)

build your 2" thick foil faced foam box and tape all corners.
keep it open on the bottom and cut in a couple of lovers in the ceiling to let warm air into the box.
cover the top and sides of the box with 12" batts of unfaced fiberglass.
as insurance you could also tap into the heat duct and run a 2" duct as well.
unico makes 2" duct and fittings.
[www.google.com]

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would heat the chase.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.