Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Any way to fix this landlord install?
Author: RuEtta (CA)

this is a slow draining nightmare. the picture tells the story. Is there any way to make this work?

[i1299.photobucket.com]

on the other side of the wall is the kitchen sink. he wanted to use the same vent (?) pipe instead of a new separate one for bathroom sink. He is a know it all type and won't listen to anyone. He insisted this was the way to do this. Anything I can do?

RuEtta

Re: Any way to fix this landlord install?
Author: hj (AZ)

quote; He insisted this was the way to do this. Anything I can do?

You could start by tearing it out and starting over. Although the pipe in the wall is too high for your sink's drain.

Author: packy (MA)

at least he used good quality shut offs.
everything else should go.

Author: kaw (CA)

Yesterday I could not spell plumber. Today I is one.

Exactly his mindset. He is an electrical contractor who thinks that qualifies him to do anything, I don't know a whole lot about plumbing but I knew as soon as I saw what he did, there was going to be a drain problem.

I 'gently' suggested that the hole should be lower than where he made it, like LOWER THAN THE FREAKING SINK!

I didn't think there would be a fix for this, only hoping. He is suggesting raising the vanity/sink to make it work. I nixed that idea - it is 35" high now, add another 6" and I would need a step stool to reach the sink to brush my teeth.

You would shake your head in amazement if you saw the concrete wall he put up in the front yard, complete with his idea of what a french drain is. OMG!

thanks anyway

RuEtta

He must be a frustrated farmer, because they also think they can do anything. Which is why my father moved us back from Wisconsin when I was little. He said that if it was something they could not do, then they wanted to pay for the work by giving him a piece of farm equipment, such as a manure spreader.

Author: sum (FL)

Your landlord is supposed to provide you with a place to live that is safe and hazard free in exchange for you paying rent on time.

Having the drain too high, and tying multiple fixtures to one fixture arm may cause siphoning issues - the waste water may not clear or be trap seal be broken causing sewer gas to enter - unsafe.

California is a very tenant friendly state, actually too friendly, you can nail him to the wall with this.

Don't attempt to do anything yourself, or you risking a lease default.

People like this give a bad name to landlords.

Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

Hey, give the guy some credit. At least there isn't a single flex fitting under there like you see in a lot of 'creative' installs!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you have a @#$%& for a landlord

? what else has he worked on ?

the ONLY fix is to lower the tee in the wall to the proper elevation

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

It would take a pretty good suction to siphon all the water out of that trap.

Author: TNPlumber (TN)

Hmm everyone right here , appears drain at wall is too high for this sink , its prob deeper than the previous sink. Only way is to cut sheetrock out and lower drain as others have said here.

Edited 1 times.

I agree. There was no previous sink, this is a new bathroom, On the other side of the wall is the kitchen sink in the house. this is a room built on what used to be the patio. It is a bedroom and bathroom.

The drain in the bathroom wall can't be lower in that spot because the kitchen drain is below this one. He wanted to use the same vent. I wish I understood how all of the stuff connected together while he was doing it. I didn't, therefore couldn't warn him of the problem. He is the homeowner, I took it for granted he knew what he was doing. Doh! When he had it all hooked up, he turned on the faucet and said "Hmm, I wonder why that is draining so slow" "oh, it will be ok". Well, it isn't ok, it's a PITA.

Author: steve (CA)

Not the proper way, but a better way than what was done, would have been to install the trap backwards, without all the ells that were installed. With the tall side as the outlet. The trap seal depth would be about half of what it currently is.

Edited 1 times.

I assume he also did the plumbing for the toilet and tub/shower, then.

yes, they work like they should. He refuses to read instructions and if I hadn't been here while he was installing the shower he would have screwed it up and would have had to buy another one. He measured from the floor to the shower head pipe and the on/off thing. He marked the panel with the measurements and was just about to drill holes in it when I walked in and stopped him, I used the cardboard from the box, put it against the wall and made a template. His marks were waaaaaaay off.

Edited 1 times.

I took it apart a week or so ago and tried to put it together with out all of those bends, I couldn't get it to fit. It was late and home depot was closed so I just put it back together. I cant remember now what part didn't fit. i think the piece coming out of the wall wasn't long enough to reach. I will try it again tomorrow and figure out what piece I need to make it work. I do remember pushing the P (or U or whatever it is) farther up the sink pipe and it almost worked but wasn't lined up with the wall pipe.

Ok, took off all of the bendy pieces and pushed the p (?) up as far as it will go on the sink pipe. here is where I am at now

[i1299.photobucket.com]

[i1299.photobucket.com]

notice how they don't line up?

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I don't condone their use, and rip them out when I see them, but until your landlord has to pay to get the drain cleaned about 6 times he won't do it right; you could use one of the accordion type drain tubes that aren't approved to make the connection. Even one of those pieces of junk would be better than a 16 inch trap that he had before. But keep in mind, this is not your property, and unless you get written permission, you shouldn't be altering anything.

My thought is this
Author: steve (CA)

It wouldn't make any difference if they did because the two threads will NOT fit together, and you probably will never find a coupling with two "captive" slip nuts on it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.